SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-04-08, 08:10 AM   #21
petevtwin650

Default Re: Need a new chain and sprocket... Which?

I put a 14 tooth sprocket on then went back to a 15. Felt it was wearing the chain quicker. I think a few others on here may have done the same, but not sure.
Old 03-04-08, 08:29 AM   #22
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Buy the kit from a suzuki dealer. Only about 110 quid all in. Only thing extra you'll have to buy if you're picky is the locktab for the front sprocket nut. The chain is endless but comes with a soft link in the box.

Morning all.

Beware some O/E kits, as sometimes they contain a lesser grade of chain than standard.
Most of the Nips have chains supplied with different numbers on them, making it hard to determine how the chain compares with the aftermarket grades the chain manufacturers supply.

I've never thought that the original SV chain was much cop, I usually find that a Tsubaki SG & JT sprockets will outlast the original on the same bike, with the same rider. This could be due to the rider taking better care of it, for they know they'll get an earbashing from me if they don't!

Cheers.
Old 03-04-08, 08:39 AM   #23
philbond07

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Buy the kit from a suzuki dealer. Only about 110 quid all in. Only thing extra you'll have to buy if you're picky is the locktab for the front sprocket nut. The chain is endless but comes with a soft link in the box.
well the genuine drivechain kit comes with an older 525v o-ring did. Would still be ok for the price you state, but not in Benelux I'm afraid. Kit costs 200E here, which is about 160gbp

Genuine sprockets only will be at 63gbp. But I think they are very good, 22000km and nearly no visible usage.
Old 03-04-08, 09:33 AM   #24
sv_rider1990

Well ive researched and the iris is a X ring gold chain and i have a scottoiler so it should prelong the wear. This is its first new chain after 21000 miles and the bikes 10 years old so it cant be bad at all.

My local garage wanted 120 quid for it using oem parts ive bought after market better quality stuff for 130 quid and that includes the chain breaker and a paddock stand. I will be reffering to hear and the Haynes manual if i get stuck as me and my dad are going to tackle it ourselves.
Old 03-04-08, 09:35 AM   #25
sv_rider1990

This is the description:
Iris 525XR-108 X-RING Gold Chain. [HL647109] ?58.95

You can buy with confidence. At bitzforbikes we only list and sell chains of a suitable quality for your bike. The dearer of the chains listed for your bike would be the OEM chain (quality of chain when your bike was new). But all chains listed are capable of doing the job. It all depends on the amount of money you would like to spend, and the type of chain you would like.
Bitzforbikes have been selling Iris chains for many years with no complaints. Iris chains are of excellent quality and offer great value for money.
. Iris X - ring chains have dirt and watertight links, this has been achieved with a special seal with four lips. Due to its lower level of friction, its operation is softer and cooler than an O - ring chain because it engages better. Furthermore, X?Ring increases the lifetime of the chain considerably. Specially designed to be used on high powered as well as touring bikes. The benefits of the X?Ring chains over standard O?Ring chains are substantial.
Old 03-04-08, 03:03 PM   #26
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

[quote=sv_rider1990;1464748]This is the description:
Iris 525XR-108 X-RING Gold Chain. [HL647109] ?58.95

You can buy with confidence. At bitzforbikes we only list and sell chains of a suitable quality for your bike.]

Not that you're biased or anything! (Mr salesman)

I have found Iris chains to be considerably inferior to any of the makes that are fitted to Japanese bikes as original equipment. end of.

Cheers.
Old 03-04-08, 03:19 PM   #27
glang

one thing guys - never ever be tempted to use the clip link that often comes with new chains, join it with the rivetted link (needs a special tool) as I had a very nasty experience with a chain comin off at speed down here in spain in the middle of nowhere!
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 03:56 PM   #28
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
one thing guys - never ever be tempted to use the clip link that often comes with new chains, join it with the rivetted link (needs a special tool) as I had a very nasty experience with a chain comin off at speed down here in spain in the middle of nowhere!
The spring link is useful to fit the chain yourself and ride carefully to the local garage so they can rivet link it if you don't have the tools, but is certainly not recommended as permanent fitment
Old 03-04-08, 08:15 PM   #29
steveg

Quote:
I have found Iris chains to be considerably inferior to any of the makes that are fitted to Japanese bikes as original equipment. end of.
+1

My iris did 8k & it was scotoilered & it was completely gone , never had less than 15 k out of any other chain or less than 20k when scotoilered.....

Get a Tsubaki chain & steel sprockets

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 01:58 PM   #30
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
The spring link is useful to fit the chain yourself and ride carefully to the local garage so they can rivet link it if you don't have the tools, but is certainly not recommended as permanent fitment
Your right but the trouble is everybody uses them 'temporarily' and like me never gets round to gettin the rivet link fitted! I still cant figure out how my spring link came undone after about 10k (the chain was at the end of its life) as it was installed correctly but still shot out the back of the bike at about 90mph. Luckly I was able to retrieve it from the autovia and having the rivet link, which I had kept on the bike, managed to rivet it by the side of the road using stones. It cost 2 hours of hard labour though!
glang is offline   Reply With Quote