SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-05-08, 09:34 PM   #21
appollo1
Mega Poster

Default Re: I need some thoughts - Help me .Org

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post

BTW,Appollo1 St andrews,RAF Leuchers by any chance??

neio79 if I tell you I'll have to hurt you

Leuchars if you please

Last edited by appollo1; 19-05-08 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-08, 09:41 PM   #22
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by appollo1 View Post
How long have you been in the RAF? Is the unit you are at, at the moment your first posting? How far away are your family from where you are? Why not try to get a move closer to where your family lives? Are you married? If yes what does your wife say ?

Have you talked to anyone about how you are feeling? Your friends, boss, family, SSAFA, Padre etc, are all good points of contact and will help you.

As for going away, boo hoo, what did you think would happen when you joined up? At least your selfish attitude means that if you manage to get out of going away for 4 months then someone will have to take your place. Probably a married person who will go away over christmas and be away from his/her children and family.
A bit harsh perhaps ? I remember when I was in, working 7 christmas,s out of 10 so that the marrried blokes could have christmas with the family and never mind about the singlies, the forces arent for everyone, but at least he signed up eh?.
Old 19-05-08, 10:10 PM   #23
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
i have to agree with that actually. We all sign on the line and know we wil have to go away.

That said the forces is not for all, some people just dont like being away, and fair enough. But they shouldent be in the forces really.

That said from what i have seen the RAF on tour d get it the easiest and are looked after. My last tour was attached the the JHF and it was more like a holiday than work.

My advice go on tour you will like it i promise, you make friends and bond with the lads with you like no other job on the planet.

BTW,Appollo1 St andrews,RAF Leuchers by any chance??
Indeed I know it is harder in the Army, which is why I didnt join... It now seems the RAF is going to become the army air core again... (maybe slight exageration) I joined the RAF expecting cirtain things like working on the most modern equipment in the world... Im currently working on Kit older than me and more out dated than the sword.

I joined expecting I might have to go away for 4 months which i think I could hack but it sounds changing to 6 months. That isnt what I wanted, if they are going to change that then no thanks.

I have tried and I now know after 3 years that it aint for me. Sorry if that means someone else has to do the work but if the MOD actually gave the forces what they are worth then maybe that wouldnt be an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
A bit harsh perhaps ? I remember when I was in, working 7 christmas,s out of 10 so that the marrried blokes could have christmas with the family and never mind about the singlies, the forces arent for everyone, but at least he signed up eh?.
Thanks for the support.

If you enjoy your job then im happy for you but I dont think I should hack it unhappily to please anyone.
Old 20-05-08, 08:27 AM   #24
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Indeed I know it is harder in the Army, which is why I didnt join... It now seems the RAF is going to become the army air core again... (maybe slight exageration) I joined the RAF expecting cirtain things like working on the most modern equipment in the world... Im currently working on Kit older than me and more out dated than the sword.

I joined expecting I might have to go away for 4 months which i think I could hack but it sounds changing to 6 months. That isnt what I wanted, if they are going to change that then no thanks.

I have tried and I now know after 3 years that it aint for me. Sorry if that means someone else has to do the work but if the MOD actually gave the forces what they are worth then maybe that wouldnt be an issue?

I dont think the RAF is going to be the Army air Corps again. Yes you have had some changes, your fitness test has got a tiny bit harder, but its still easy to pass. I dont think you have 10% of the bull sh*t the Army has. A lot of your trade is moving to TCW in know that so maybe you concider that to be not for you.

I still think the RAF is so muh eaiser compared to the Army from what i have seen and experianced.

But Like you say if its not for you then yes leave you should not stay in a job that you are not happy with at all.

However i get the feeling your choice to leave is largely based upon the fact you will have to go away for longer than 4 months? If you are going to be so bad at being away from friends and family then yes you should leave the forces , but as i get the feeling you havent been away in the whole 3 years you ahve ben in you should maybe give it a go and see if after doing a tour you feel the same.

But like i said in my post at the moment i work closely with our civilian equivilents on big projects in defence comms so if you do want a point in the right direction of where to send your CV give me a shout.
Old 20-05-08, 08:41 AM   #25
Odin

if i could go back i would look at either

accountancy,
skilled trade (sparky, chippy, gas)
or try and see if you can get in with a big company and do CISCO, SAP, Oracle database work or similar.

Unfortunatly most of us who work only do it for the money, so I would suggest to forget about the 'ideal' job, as not all of us can become marine biologists working with dolphins in the maldives. So, just get trained over a few years then go wherever the money is......even if it has to be London.