SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-09-06, 12:53 PM   #21
rwoodcock01

Just caught this, gald you got to the bike before they made off with it.

Any chance you could have a word with work and get some CCTV setup?

Even if there fake but make sure they can be seen. Other than that, see about putting a sign up say "CCTV camera's now in effect" anything to make them think its not worth it mate!

If it makes them nervous it will mean they might skip that area now and tell the scumbag mates it not worth it to!

Heck, even a cheap webcam would do the trick mate!

Cheers

Rich
Old 14-09-06, 01:09 PM   #22
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodcock01
Just caught this, gald you got to the bike before they made off with it.
Any chance you could have a word with work and get some CCTV setup?
Even if there fake but make sure they can be seen. Other than that, see about putting a sign up say "CCTV camera's now in effect" anything to make them think its not worth it mate!
If it makes them nervous it will mean they might skip that area now and tell the scumbag mates it not worth it to!
Heck, even a cheap webcam would do the trick mate!
I'd love to do ALL of that Rich. The only problem is it's not works car park. It's a public car park in the middle of town.

There's also legal issues with setting up cameras to record public places without notices being placed. Since it's a council run car park, they'd probably object to the recording and even more so putting notices up. Red tape & all.

Best I can probably hope for is spreading the word that they were seen, and that almost everyone that's into bikes in town is now looking for vans acting suspiciously around bikes. Hopefully news will spread along the grapevine to the theiving scum!

Funnily enough, it was only a week or so before this that I was at the bank a little down the road. Saw a guy looking at my bike, and instinctively set off the initial warning system (alarm voice says "Please step away from this vehicle, the alarm is armed"). Sure enough, the guy left sharpish. It's only actually now that I've remembered about this, and I reckon I need to be far more open to the signs.

Parking in the same spot every day could be a bad thing, even though it is so close to me (about 15m tops).
Old 14-09-06, 01:21 PM   #23
creamerybutter

Default Re: Attempted Theft Foiled

Glad you stopped it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Admittedly at home (or less likely at work) you may well be, and at £30 go ahead anyway. But you're right, probably an uncroppable chain (almax) is the only way to go.
Provided it is chained to something else otherwise it is more more usefull than a disc lock. It will deter casual theif but if a pro wants your bike they will take it chain or no chain. It's what annoys me about Birmingham, none of the bays have anything to chain the bike to but they do have signs saying 'warning high bike crime area, make sure you lock you bike' I don't understand why councils don't install them.
Old 14-09-06, 01:27 PM   #24
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter
Glad you stopped it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Admittedly at home (or less likely at work) you may well be, and at £30 go ahead anyway. But you're right, probably an uncroppable chain (almax) is the only way to go.
Provided it is chained to something else otherwise it is more more usefull than a disc lock. It will deter casual theif but if a pro wants your bike they will take it chain or no chain. It's what annoys me about Birmingham, none of the bays have anything to chain the bike to but they do have signs saying 'warning high bike crime area, make sure you lock you bike' I don't understand why councils don't install them.
Lock to lock? - surely in a bike bay or car park you'll find another bike with a chain. Just lock to their chain, they won't mind.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-06, 01:35 PM   #25
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
So disk locks aren't much use and a chain is only any good if locked to something solid. Thats depressing...
Sad fact of life.
Old 14-09-06, 01:38 PM   #26
creamerybutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Lock to lock? - surely in a bike bay or car park you'll find another bike with a chain. Just lock to their chain, they won't mind.
But that relies on being able to park next to people who use chains and don't loop it round their back seat (admitidly like I do to keep the padlock off the floor). The last time I used a bay in Birmingham when the work on was full the only place left was between two scoots that didn't have chains. A bar etc put in by the council would have been there regardless. If Leeds can do it I don't see why other cant.