SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2006 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2006 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 06-02-06, 08:12 PM   #31
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Didn't get a chance to look at the weekend, but I did notice this on the way to Ford tonight.

http://ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4407
http://www.ukcampsite.com/heart-of-e...mping-site.htm

This is bang on top of Dinkies diner, the big petrol station and a reasonable cab fare to Shrewsbury centre, although there is a big pub next to the BP station that looks worth investigating, Daryl and Ed? purely in the interest of the campers mind, but as we're there, maybe a pint or two, shame not to really....

John
Old 06-02-06, 10:19 PM   #32
Ed

Yes I agree, a quick hop out to Ford would be a good idea, it's thirsty work inspecting camp sites, so we'll check out the pub too

Old 06-02-06, 10:27 PM   #33
darylB

What a shame i am teetotal !!!!!!!!. o.k then in the name of keeping john and ed upright i will endeavour to go as well to keep them in order.

Daryl.
Old 06-02-06, 10:30 PM   #34
Anonymous

GET ON WITH IT!!!!!

Old 09-02-06, 08:53 PM   #35
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Right, Daryl and I headed for Ford and took a look at the pub next the BP petrol station. Nice pub, upmarket, sort of place you might take the wife or GF for bit of posh nosh. I don't think they'd appreciate 60 hairy arsed bikers decending on the place, although the mental picture does make me chuckle.

So we thought we'd go to Montford bridge, which is only a stone throws away and which Sythree originally suggested as a camp site. We dropped into the Swan PH which owns the campsite. Nice regular pub, does meals. Has a large function room and is happy to have us. Spoke to the very nice barmaid and she confirmed that they also have an overflow field so the limit on 25 pitches is not strictly true. I mentioned what we had in mind and she didn't run away screaming. She also mentioned that they have a shower block. Cost per pitch is £5 a night for two people, an extra £1.50 per extra person (if that makes sense).

So my choice would be this place. A pub with a campsite attached. Friendly staff, showers, hardstanding for the bikes, easy to find, close to the start of the rideout, short staggering distance from pub back to tent (or river).

Here are the details from the business card she gave me. She also asked the proposed date, which we gave. She mentioned that we book soon to avoid disapointment, as this is a busy period.

Ask for Denise or Julie

Quote:
The Old Swan
Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury. 01743 850750
Open 7 days a week, lunchtime catering 12-2, evening catering 6-9.30, Sunday Carvery.
Also Bed and Breakfast
Function room
Cut and paste this without the c/r into browser for map

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...348&icon=x
Old 09-02-06, 10:04 PM   #36
Stig

Hey sounds good to me. I shall be booking in the very near future.

Old 10-02-06, 08:04 AM   #37
darylB

Well done that man, i don't remember what the barmaid looked like cos unlike john i was there purely to see if the pub and campsite would be suitable for the rcampers!!!!!!!! . As john said it does seem to fill in all the boxes, as long as the river doesn't flood and wash you all away.

Daryl.
Old 10-02-06, 09:17 AM   #38
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

so is this the one were booking?
Old 10-02-06, 04:21 PM   #39
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
GET ON WITH IT!!!!!

Yeah what he said.

Old 10-02-06, 09:02 PM   #40
Ed

Montford Bridge is a great spot and the pub is very nice. Has anyone done a risk assessment - there's a real risk of falling in the Severn if you get completely rat-arsed. Mind, you could then swim to Newtown, and meet everyone else there