SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-01-06, 12:08 AM   #31
jonboyy2k

You know when you hear of a death of a biker on the road in the middle of summer - well it's these kind of guys that it happens to 90% of the time. They are a danger to themselves and every other road user. Yes they're talented, yes they can ride better then I will ever be able to, but on the road, like this, is just stupid. I enjoyed the vid tho
Old 01-01-06, 12:33 AM   #32
Peter Henry

Jonboy wrote:
Quote:
They are a danger to themselves and every other road user.

Sorry my friend but although I understand where you are coming from, the actual stats I am sure would tell you otherwise.

Dont let your view be clouded by the fact that they did actually have a couple of bad moments in the video.

The summer accidents you mention are more likely to be involving people trying this kind of thing with not a fraction of the same ability or experience.

I think you are reading far too much from this video and drawing some very wrong conclusions mate. In addition your blanket statement above shows that you have not really thought this whole thing through because the statement is,I am sorry....ridiculous.

The way they rode might not be your way,in fact it might scare the sh*t out of you,but don't disguise that by accusing them as being close to serial killers!

(Christ I have for some reason taken the mantle of defending the guys in the vid? How did that happen?)
Old 01-01-06, 12:35 AM   #33
Stig

I just watched in awe. I sooooooo wish that I had the skills to ride like them.
Old 01-01-06, 12:39 AM   #34
Peter Henry

Big Ape...Thank you!

I should have added Ape to my little list earlier and I hope he was not offended at his omission? You see guys that are known for not exactly riding to how the good book says, have bought in to that video with a totally different view than many others. Nuff said really.

I dont really think that Ape given the same machinery and knowledge of the road..would be too far off the pace shown in the video.
Old 01-01-06, 12:42 AM   #35
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
I dont really think that Ape given the same machinery and knowledge of the road..would be too far off the pace shown in the video.
In days gone by maybe, but these days I'm quite happy to just stick to wheeling past unmarked police cars
Old 01-01-06, 12:54 AM   #36
Carsick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboyy2k
In addition your blanket statement above shows that you have not really thought this whole thing through because the statement is,I am sorry....ridiculous.
Please justify. In what way is it ridiculous.

I agree that it is a blanket statement and as a rule, blanket statements are almost always not true, but that doesn't make it false for all situations. I personally believe that those riders made alot of choices that were entirely inappropriate when dealing with other riders. They became a danger to those other riders, in my opinion. I would personally be glad they were well away from me once they'd gone.

I fully admit that I'm not capable of shuffling those bikes through those roads at anywhere near the same speed, and complementing others on this site (whom I'm fairly sure you've never ridden with) doesn't make those in the videos riding justified.

Please don't take this as me condemning the makers of the video, but to praise them or indeed, condemn them would be silly. Watch the video and accept it for what it is. You haven't paid for it and you're not contributing to them doing it again. You're not doing it yourself so don't feel ashamed for enjoying watching a little spirited riding and perhaps some stupid riding. We don't all get to watch it from the cockpit so from a video is the best we'll get.
Old 01-01-06, 01:30 AM   #37
Peter Henry

Carsick wrote:

Quote:
I agree that it is a blanket statement and as a rule, blanket statements are almost always not true
The blanket statement I was referring to was the one mentioning that 90% of summer crashes blah.blah...complete tosh!

Indeed I have not ridden with all of those I alluded to in my post.But in reality I do not need to.I think I have an understanding of how the guys mentioned view exhuberant riding.The responses to this video are all about perception. There are those that totally condemn actions of others purely because it is beyond their own capabilities to get anywhere near the obvious skills involved. In saying that I do not mean to infer that everyone should get to that level or even want or need to.

I have said earlier there are certain things.....specifically those in traffic....that I personally would never do. However the spirited riding down pre checked roads..I would personally be happy to go to the edge of my own personal riding comfort zone when conditions allow.

If viewed objectively there is more to be gained in that video for many riders, than to simply praise or condemn any of the riding shown.
Old 01-01-06, 01:43 AM   #38
Carsick

Fair enough. I agree, there is more to be gained.
I mainly disapprove of the stuff they did around other bikes. It's a known fact that we need to move around within our own lane for various reasons. It's bad enough make sure cars don't encroach on the space we need when others bikers are cutting us up as well.
The stuff they pulled around cars was bad enough, but at least that was mostly in situations where there was no reason for the car to change lines or the drivers were already being very careful of bikes.

Like I said, I couldn't ride those bikes through those roads at anything like that speed, and I've certainly been to the edge of my ability on known and unknown roads and learnt where my limits lie. I don't condemn them for pushing their own limits and I'm taking it on trust that the roads were being checked. I condemn them for disregarding others safety and pushing beyond other rider's limits.
Old 01-01-06, 09:36 AM   #39
jonboy

Quote:
Jonboy wrote:
Quote:
I never said nuffink! It was 'im - jonboyy2k

Old 01-01-06, 09:41 AM   #40
Peter Henry

Greg It was late/early and a glass or two of giggling juice had been consumed! I could not be a*sed writing his full monica!

I know you would not have commented in similar manner!