SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 29-04-05, 11:44 AM   #31
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couerdelion
Once I've received all deposits and confirmed accomadation I'll ring around and sort out which is the best/cheapest ferry crossing. I'll then let everyone know so we can all book on the same one.
I have found that the best prices are generally from P&O and found through their web page (you can also check for availability too). Then call them and tell them that you want to book for a party of bikes and that you have pricies from the web site.

Their web prices are about 30% less than their phone quotes, but if you say that you are booking for a party you can generally keep to the web prices. As far as I am aware, offers such as MCN discounts don't apply to web prices. Also, the sooner you book the better the price.

I've tried Sea France but they always seemed expensive..

Old 04-05-05, 08:25 PM   #32
Couerdelion

Speedferries are great for the car but the same price as a car for a bike

Probably use P&O as they seem the cheapest.

The accomadation for the thursday and friday is now booked but I can't book Saturday nights (motorcycle loft) untill 30 days before.

So....

If there's any one else who wants to come along I guess there's still time to add a couple more names
Old 20-05-05, 07:05 PM   #33
falc

Oh dear of alll the dates and times it appears my graduation is on the 21st the day were leaving for the trip!!!! cant believe my luck, i have to miss the sv meet because of project handin, miss the other euro trip cause of previous holiday arrangement its just not meant to be!

The graduation it at 3pm and since im in Portsmouth im not too far from the ferries, would there be any times this late? I still wanna really go though! this just aint my year
Old 31-05-05, 12:21 PM   #34
Mr Toad

Hello folks
doesn't look like I'll make this for obvious reasons

Rich - if you can get my deposit back I suggest you put it towards having a group beer on me , if not then no probs

Make sure you all have appropriate insurance - might not cover you for 'racing' - believe me you don't want to get caught out

cheers
Old 16-06-05, 08:37 PM   #35
lurcher

Default euro trip

hi,how much gear will i need to take on this trip,clothing etc,and which luggage for the bike is best,panniers,tank bag ect,a dumb question i know ,new to touring on a bike,thanks
Old 16-06-05, 08:49 PM   #36
svrunner

Hi Lurcher,

if you haven't already got a set I've got some panniers that I'm going to sell. Only used once but no longer needed since I got a high level exhaust fitted.

Steve.
Old 16-06-05, 08:52 PM   #37
Couerdelion

Well, I reckon you will need to take something like the following...

(minimum)
underwear
1 pair jeans
2 t-shirts (going out)
1 t-shirt under leathers
Toiletries

That should be it.

You can wear your biker boots with jeans although a pair of shoes/trainers may be more comfy.

You can wear your leather jacket instead of lugging around a coat.

You could wear a fresh t-shirt everyday under your leathers but as you'll only be wearing on the bike who can smell your B.O. anyway?

Going out tops you'll probably end up wearing same one as you'll be that knackered you won't have chance to get it dirty as you'll all be wanting early nights

I can get all that stuff into a tankbag but that prevents me from tucking in then so I might just bring panniers instead. Still to decide. I might even get a tailpack yet
Old 26-06-05, 04:33 PM   #38
rockabillyrockit

hi there as a regular user of norfolk ferries can i recommend this company ...good prices and good value food on board...also i live in ashford so if anyone my way give me a call .i have complete set of throwover panniers and tank bag ..all in new condition,,anyone making the trip wanna borrow them?
Old 06-07-05, 03:07 PM   #39
lurcher

Default euro trip

have the ferry prices been sorted out as well as the depart time,thanks
Old 06-07-05, 05:38 PM   #40
svrunner

not heard anything.
pm'd Couerdelion, but as yet no reply.
no ferry booked and only 2 weeks to go