SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-14, 12:00 PM   #31
Kenzie

Default Re: Road tax and used cars-new rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgumbo View Post
Including the drive back from collecting it?
Yep, before you are allowed to use the vehicle. Can be done in the post office or they offer an automated service. Even if the disc is still valid, it seems you won't need to display it when it gets scrapped.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 12:06 PM   #32
L3nny
Mega Poster

Road Tax is the biggest waste of time every, I am pretty sure that at least 90% of what you pay goes to the administration of the system, it is the most complicated system, seemingly designed to be as complicated as possible.

The amount you pay in road tax is negligible compared to fuel duty and vat on fuel so why bother?
Old 14-08-14, 12:13 PM   #33
Kenzie

I have heard people mention that the cost of fuel should be upped. That way you only pay for the time you are on the road.
Old 14-08-14, 12:23 PM   #34
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Road Tax is the biggest waste of time every, I am pretty sure that at least 90% of what you pay goes to the administration of the system, it is the most complicated system, seemingly designed to be as complicated as possible.

The amount you pay in road tax is negligible compared to fuel duty and vat on fuel so why bother?
to keep people employed. without paying the TAX these people might otherwise be unemployed and we would have to pay for them some other way.

Thatcher said that she would put 10p on a ltr of fuel and scrap the road tax. yes 10p went on a ltr of fuel but the road tax was never scrapped.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 12:26 PM   #35
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
As a Geordie, can I just point out that he's WELSH!

Thank you,
C
ahhh thanks but it makes no odds i still cant understand him
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-14, 01:41 PM   #36
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
to keep people employed. without paying the TAX these people might otherwise be unemployed and we would have to pay for them some other way.

Thatcher said that she would put 10p on a ltr of fuel and scrap the road tax. yes 10p went on a ltr of fuel but the road tax was never scrapped.
Maybe they should be put to work somewhere else in the DVLA so it takes less than 2 weeks to get a v5 through!
Old 18-08-14, 02:04 AM   #37
goodgumbo

So when I buy an used bike in mid-September, what steps do I need to take?

Sign the back of the registration paper. Take that paper somewhere to register it under my name. Get insurance with that registration. Use current tax disk (valid till 02-15). Anything else? In that order?
Old 18-08-14, 06:06 AM   #38
Kenzie

I think everything is as normal until November 1st.
Old 18-08-14, 02:50 PM   #39
goodgumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
I think everything is as normal until November 1st.
Sure, but this is the first time I buy an used vehicle in the UK. What is the normal procedure?

Is the list I gave complete and in order?
Old 18-08-14, 03:01 PM   #40
TamSV
Mega Poster

Get the bike's registration number from the seller and arrange insurance before you go to collect.

You complete your details on the main part of the registration document which you both sign. This is sent to DVLA by the seller. You keep a small tear-off portion on which you put your name and address. Retain that until the new V5 (registration document) comes through.

If the vehicle has a current tax disc then you're fine (at the moment) for road tax.

If the vehicle requires an MOT (roadworthiness test) the seller should give you the paper copy. You can also check MOT status online but I think you might need the registration document reference number for that.

Note, in the UK, if the vehicle has road tax it also has to be insured whether you intend to use it or not. If the bike is "off road" it needs to be declared as such.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote