SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should the UK leave the EEC?
yes 31 60.78%
No 19 37.25%
Keithd's spoiled paper 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-05-13, 09:49 AM   #31
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Org EU referendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Most of the crap at the minute is our government interpreting EU stuff in the worst possible and most intrusive way. While the rest of the EU ignores it!
New legislation leaves Brussels as a one page document to be converted into 20 once it leaves our Government. That said though, they still craete some absolutely stupid laws/legislation which we then follow...unlike France or Italy!

I say out of the EU but stay in the EEC for trade purposes.

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 10:10 AM   #32
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Re-negotiate?
For that we need a Statesman with cojones.
Oh dear, we just buried her!
In no way is Cameron the man for this job, and the last two PMs were far worse.
Old 14-05-13, 02:26 PM   #33
EssexDave

Can I please just re-iterate to those people saying leave and 'stay in the EEC' - we are NOT in the EEC and to re-join would be like saying...f you we don't want to pay anything but please let us trade with your citizen's tax free....

Yeah right
Old 14-05-13, 02:28 PM   #34
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Oh. I was under the impression that we could stay in the EEC when leaving the EU.

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 03:09 PM   #35
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
Oh. I was under the impression that we could stay in the EEC when leaving the EU.
EEC doesn't actually exist anymore since the Lisbon Treaty:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union#Treaties
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 03:11 PM   #36
EssexDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_God View Post
EEC doesn't actually exist anymore since the Lisbon Treaty:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union#Treaties
Hence why leaving isn't an option - if we hadn't of joined, I'd probably be saying (knowing what we know now) we don't want to, but now we're in, not worth leaving in my opinion.
Old 14-05-13, 03:35 PM   #37
G
Mega Poster

I voted no... but I also think yes... so should have perhaps selected KeithD.

Yes because of the bull**** human rights laws that prevent terrorist being extradited, therefore costing the taxpayer millions in legals fees and upkeep of his huge family.

No because of all the far more technical aspects that the UK would struggle to deal with themselves... mainly EU Directives and such like that thankfully prevent us from buying non CE compliant toys imported from china that are toxic or don't meet other safety standards... or having lifts that can close and chop your head off. Yes the UK can sometimes interpret a 2 page directive or standard document into 200 pages, but if they didn't then we wouldn't have anything at all as this goverment wouldn't think or have the capacity to produce the 2 pages document in the first place.
Old 14-05-13, 03:39 PM   #38
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

We had the British standards system before CE...
Old 14-05-13, 04:51 PM   #39
orose

I think the people talking about staying in the EEC actually mean joining the EFTA, which has effectively replaced it
Old 14-05-13, 05:21 PM   #40
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
We had the British standards system before CE...
Whilst true I was surprised the other day by how much the eu covers that the uk does not with British standards... And EU directives are just some of the many things that you don't typically think about when thinking of pulling out of the EU.

To someone I'll informed like me it's not a clear picture of what we would gain, and what we would lose.

Sadly most people will vote on the basis of typical red top news reports on the EU preventing the UK from being able to extradite Abu Mohammed whoever his name is, rather than an actual informed choice.

I think if it went to the vote we would probably be out.