SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-07-08, 08:16 AM   #31
Baph

Default Re: So what did I do to deserve this ( warning cycling based thread )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
I'm definately noticing that I'm starting to get treated alot worse by car drivers. Especially the guy in a different 4 x 4 the other morning who passed my so closely he hit my elbow with his passenger wing mirror.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Isn't that a failure to stop? Call the cops!
Quote:
Dunno, but he did stop at traffic lights 30 seconds or so after he did it. So I cycled up to his window and tapped on it till he wound it down, he knew what he'd done and he was sh*tting himself as he couldnt drive away as there was a car in front of him.

I spoke to him politely and calmly and explained what he'd done and that it wasnt a very clever thing to do and that next time I'd appreciate a little more room I then thanked him politely for driving like a moron and putting me at risk and took my place in the traffic queue.

he overtook me about 1/2 mile down the road and left me plenty of room this time so I like to think my being calm actually got through to him.
Just a thought, but maybe the next time you decide to be so reasonable, the guy/woman you talk to may just be so enraged by red mist that Ratty's post happens.

T'is always much much funnier to complain to the police, as they're then obliged to do something about it - even if it's just a visit & a nice chat about dangerous driving/due care/failure to stop at an accident.
Old 15-07-08, 09:19 AM   #32
Viney
Mega Poster

In my recent new excursion onto the road under human power, i have noticed how venrable that i feel on a pushbike. Its actually quite scary. I dont hink its until you actually do this stuff that you start to have respect for your fellow road users. Like having respect for what bikes do when you are a car driver, etc. I think that i am more observent to motorbikes etc now that i ride one when in the car and so on.

Still doesnt stop me getting wound up with stupid cycle riders in london!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-08, 11:02 AM   #33
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Hang on, this was a woman, in a 4x4, with kids in the car? What do you expect except for totally $hit driving?
Old 15-07-08, 11:08 AM   #34
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
No, seriously, You did the right thing. Now, I don't normally like cyclists, but thats mainly because of intereactions with the many cycling buffoons that frequent london's roads. But outside london, cyclists are generally serious road users, and as such, i treat them so - this includes you!
Leeds seems to have about a 50-50 split between decent cyclists and complete muppets.

I don't care how responsible a road user anyone is, what's the point of wearing a lycra gimp suit in public?
Old 15-07-08, 11:11 AM   #35
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I don't care how responsible a road user anyone is, what's the point of wearing a lycra gimp suit in public?
Its more comfortable, as you dont get the clothing bunching up around you. Also it doesnt chaffe around your man bits either. Cycling shorts have a chamois pad in the bum that lessons the blow from potholes etc etc

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-08, 11:12 AM   #36
Filipe M.

Quote:
Its more comfortable, as you dont get the clothing bunching up around you. Also it doesnt chaffe around your man bits either. Cycling shorts have a chamois pad in the bum that lessons the blow from potholes etc etc
Okay, that's the sensible answer. Now the real one please?
Old 15-07-08, 11:15 AM   #37
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

There was a big road race going on on saturday up in the Dales, had to overtake 100+ cyclists. It was very unpleasant.

(Although it did give me a giggle watching one fall off at a junction )
Old 15-07-08, 11:15 AM   #38
Stig

I'd have stopped and let her pass.

I don't see the point of standing ground and all that stuff. The whole business would have been over and done with in a matter of a couple of seconds.

If your winding down country roads and find a tractor in front, you would expect the tractor driver to pull over when he could to allow faster moving traffic to pass. Why should this be any different?

I think just by you standing your ground and not moving off the road to allow her to pass, you created most of the event yourself.

Was it worth it? I'd suggest it wasn't.
Old 15-07-08, 11:17 AM   #39
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Similar situation when I had the 125, 62mph flat out crawling under the paint on the tank.

Yes it might have been "my" bit of road, but get out of the way as there's only going to be one winner if someone gets a little too annoyed. I would usually indicate into the side of road and let tailgaters pass, not really worth the bother.
Old 15-07-08, 04:47 PM   #40
Viper

i would have just mowed you down you lycra wearing fitness freak
( its a joke just in case the PC army take it the wrong way)