SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-01-12, 04:29 PM   #31
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone else just completely skint?

Yes I'm bloody skint, well, I'm not, because I can't spend anything I have got because I want to get a van and make a go at mobile mechanicing. But the rip-off b*stard insurance companies want £3000 for the privilege at the moment, hopefully with me soon to have held my licence a year this will come down a bit.

Did have a reasonable job as a fitter until christmas. Bah!

A load of student loan too, BEng in Mechanical Engineering and can I buggery find any professional work in that field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallenangel View Post
He ain't a kitchen fitter until he's got his part P and can go blowing MP's daughters up.
Surely anyone can fit a kitchen if they then get the relevant registered person in to flick the switch on the sparky/burny bits?

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 22-01-12 at 04:32 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-12, 05:20 PM   #32
Urbanfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
No disrespect to anybody who ever but life seems to be based on credit and materialistic possessions today which I don't quite understand.I can understand needing basics or essentials but as an example I quote the 8 mountain bikes--why8?

Mountain biking was my hobby and my life up until about 3yrs ago when i screwed up my knee, and so i've ended up with this collection of bikes and masses of spares i've built up over nearly 15yrs. If you go on most mountainbike sites you'll find many members have alot of bikes, i was part of http://www.retrobike.co.uk and they're all like me! Mad bunch! It was my hobby.
Old 22-01-12, 06:01 PM   #33
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Surely anyone can fit a kitchen if they then get the relevant registered person in to flick the switch on the sparky/burny bits?
I'm not part p and I kitchens for a living amongst other things, I just get a sparky to do work I'm not allowed to.

A lot of people don't realise how much you can do yourself without part p or Nic certification.

As it happens to fit some kitchens isn't easy (excluding electrics) and I think a diy'er would struggle to do it properly.

I'd rather do a full bathroom refit than some kitchens tbh, they can be a pita, especially if walls are not flat or square.
Old 22-01-12, 06:49 PM   #34
bathwiggle

I'll join in with the i'm broke, not recovered from being unemployed and then having a month where any vehicle i have access to breaks when i use it and the sv really breaking, gonna be months before everything is under control again
Old 22-01-12, 07:22 PM   #35
Bluefish

Well I have just paid the last payment one of the loans so should be a lot better of, however had a few days of sick this month, so no wonga for them plus I lose my bonus as well, still next month start paying more off the credit cards in order to have some money for holiday time.
Old 22-01-12, 07:24 PM   #36
Dicky Ticker

Urban,as I said no offence meant to anybody by my comments and I hope none was taken as it is only my personal opinion.
Am I right in thinking that a decent mountain bike can cost from £1000 upwards and if so that must be a decent sum of money you have in your collection.
It is a shame when injury forces you to give up a hobby you are passionate about and I hope you manage get things sorted out--------good luck with the sales.
Old 22-01-12, 07:37 PM   #37
Winder

Sounds like we need an Org lottery. 50p to enter, one winner selected at random each month. And for coming up with the idea I should win the first month be default
Old 22-01-12, 08:34 PM   #38
thefallenangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Yes I'm bloody skint, well, I'm not, because I can't spend anything I have got because I want to get a van and make a go at mobile mechanicing. But the rip-off b*stard insurance companies want £3000 for the privilege at the moment, hopefully with me soon to have held my licence a year this will come down a bit.

Did have a reasonable job as a fitter until christmas. Bah!

A load of student loan too, BEng in Mechanical Engineering and can I buggery find any professional work in that field.

sorry i was having a pot shot at Part P because i'm not allowed to touch wiring in a house even though i do it day to day on industry and i'm allowed to go and rip my brakes to bits and drive down the road still.

But anyway, engineering has hit the wall lately. Companies that even need the work doing won't spend it. I'm pretty much untouchable in my job and the spends we need are mandatory working for water company but they are really reluctant to spend it. My planned BEng project has been done on my own through breakdowns not a project because no money is being spent.

Our manning has been cut, overtime is being dropped next year. So even in secure environments they are cutting money and trying to get rid of people. No such thing as a job for life anymore.
Old 22-01-12, 08:47 PM   #39
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Mortgage paid......check
Bills paid....check
Kids clothed....check
Family fed....check

Bank balance empty.....check

Everyone in the same boat!
Such is life at the moment, its rather annoying, and tensions can be quite high at times, but as I say every day, if we're fed and watered, with a roof over our heads, then so be it, everything else will have to wait until things are a little brighter.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 22-01-12 at 08:48 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-12, 10:37 PM   #40
Whyte25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winder View Post
Good idea tonyk but my job was to gut out old houses before his trade boys came in. Dig holes. Carry things. Drive. Maybe some painting and tiling or hanging wallpaper. Then build the cheap ikea furniture when it was ready for rental.
I'm an unskilled worker I'm afraid. Don't even have a CSCS card.

Thanks for the idea though, think I might get some quals in the future when times aren't so tough.

You can hang wallpaper??? i have a job for you !! it`s literally 1 wall (a feature wall about 3 mtrs in length) got the paper just wallpapering is 1 thing i wont touch.. been quoted £60 notes to do it - wanna look? it`s about 4 ish miles from you in Byfleet nr brooklands?