SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-07-09, 06:15 PM   #471
El Saxo

Default Re: The MTB thread

Went & did this yesterday: http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/t...18th-19th-2009

I demo'd a Specialized FSR Expert - my first go on a full susser and I am mightily impressed, it really does soak up a lot of the bumps. One of my mates demo'd a Cannondale Rize too and said it was awesome.

Sadly my other mate didn't have as much luck with his demo bike, mainly down to the fact it was really muddy on the trails (so much so that it made certain sections unrideable cos you just couldnt get any traction at all). The mud was really claggy too though and was sticking to the bikes like mad, and clogged up bits so much that the XTR rear derailleur completely snapped in half when changing gear at one point We made our way back to the start point and the Evans guys told us it was the second one to fail that day! Bit disappointing considering the cheaper XT rear derailleurs that were on the rest of our bikes never missed a beat all day...

Anyway the Evans guys replaced the derailleur and we got going again, had a decent day out despite the mud, wind & rain and then got well and truly plastered in the pub last night. The hangover has subsided now but has left behind the aches & pains from the ride yesterday!
Old 19-07-09, 11:51 PM   #472
Elltg

Technically not a MTB but close as in it has standard 26" wheels.

Album inc sv pics too!

For the more in the know, this is a trials bike, NOT a bmx and NOT a jump bike. My particular one has a chris king classic hub front and rear. Any hardcore bike enthusiast should know what this is and why it it so special (and worth 300 pounds).

Anyone else that does have a true interest for bikes should at least look up the sound a chris king makes as it is rotated in reverse and ratchets.

edit: Sorry guys just looked back at this post and it was very irrelevant and very arsy. Was not intended, just wanted to spark interest in something possibly not previously seen here before.

PS: For anyone interested, i also run Magura HS33 hydralic rim brakes on the rear and a Avid BB7 front disc brake.

PPS: Also i have a super space age invisible saddle to match the rest of the all round awesome-ness!

Last edited by Elltg; 20-07-09 at 12:00 AM.
Old 20-07-09, 09:41 AM   #473
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

ooh trials, you lot are maniacs.

A good friend of mine runs a trials rig and I am always impressed by his balance and ability to gap jump. Bit of a really! Me jealous...? never...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-09, 01:07 PM   #474
malks

Can I have a shot???? please???????

I think trials bikes just look such a laugh. I doubt I'd be able to even just stand it up but they just look so much fun!
Old 20-07-09, 01:23 PM   #475
sam anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
I ride round Swinley Forest a bit, but am a tad unfit and probably need new MTB pals that I can keep up with.
I know this is a pretty late reply, but you should look up Berks on Bikes Law, they ride from Broadmoor car park every Saturday. I used to be a member, and they're a friendly bunch!
Old 23-07-09, 11:28 PM   #476
rob13

Bought a set of trainers today which will take cleats. The question is, should I go to clipless pedals? I'm looking at a set of M520s which are only £20 on ebay.

I went out today and found on more than one occasion I quickly needed to put my foot down (it had rained and the front end started to wash out on me). Can I set the pedals loose so that they can just come out?

Another thing, I think the bars on my bike are a little low and I want to lift the headstock. Do I need some kind of collar to add to those already underneath the A-head stem?

Last edited by rob13; 23-07-09 at 11:31 PM.
Old 24-07-09, 01:12 PM   #477
malks

I'd say give the spds a go! you can set the pedals pretty loose so it's easy to get your feet out, but once your used to them I'll be suprised how quickly you release then if it starts going wrong!

and at £20 if you hate them and stick them on eBay or something your going to get at least £10 back so you'll not loose a huge ammount!
Old 24-07-09, 05:23 PM   #478
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Bought a set of trainers today which will take cleats. The question is, should I go to clipless pedals? I'm looking at a set of M520s which are only £20 on ebay.

I went out today and found on more than one occasion I quickly needed to put my foot down (it had rained and the front end started to wash out on me). Can I set the pedals loose so that they can just come out?

Another thing, I think the bars on my bike are a little low and I want to lift the headstock. Do I need some kind of collar to add to those already underneath the A-head stem?
Aye, give it a go... And don't just do what a lot of folks do, have one bad experience and give up, it takes a bit of time to get really comfortable with them, and then you can decide if they work for you or not.

If you've got no spacers above the stem, you might have a problem there... Moving the stem is done by taking spacers from above and putting them below, or vice versa of course. So if there's none above it currently, it's already going to be as high as it can go (if you add more spacers, you'll probably end up with the stem riding up above the top of the steerer, not good)

If that's the case, then you can look at a slopier stem (On One do some cheap, decent ones with mad rise) or riser bars.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-09, 06:33 PM   #479
sam anon

The first time out with spd's I fell off.....not once!

The second time out with spd's I fell off.....about fifteen times, it was the day after the christmas party and I was hungover, cold, wet and well and truly pi$$ed off! It does take some time, but now think they're great!
Old 24-07-09, 07:07 PM   #480
Girth
Mega Poster

I can't ride without SPuD's now.