SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should the UK leave the EEC?
yes 31 60.78%
No 19 37.25%
Keithd's spoiled paper 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-05-13, 05:38 PM   #41
Spank86

Default Re: The Org EU referendum

G, the reason for that is because we keep replacing our old British standards with EU ones, if we left the existing EU standards would still apply unless repealed and we'd introduce new standards as needed.

Same as we used to.
Old 14-05-13, 05:43 PM   #42
EssexDave

Even if we weren't part of the EU we'd still be having problems trying to extradite him. We are part of an international criminal court and he could take his grievances there. Even though not binding in the same way as the EU court is on us (although that is still theoretically not completely binding) it would be international political suicide to not follow the judgement.

The same applies to EFTA as does to the EEC - we'd still have to ask nicely to join the fold and after you've just said you don't want to help out in the club (and the fact that both France and Germany have said you can't pick and choose what you want the odd of this happening are slim to none.

And just as an aside - the same reason why we cannot extradite certain individuals - the ECtHR has also ruled that stop and search powers that we did have (power to stop anybody WITHOUT reasonable suspicion) were unlawful and a breach of several of the articles of the human rights convention.

There are several other things out government has tried to do that I believe would be bad for the citizen and the EU have protected us from these things (with very little media coverage surprisingly).

If enough people are interested I may be prepared to produce a short(ish - given the length of the topic) report about the EU focusing on the facts and trying to keep my opinion out of it to allow people to make their own judgement if you're interested - drop me a PM.
Old 14-05-13, 07:18 PM   #43
Red Herring
Mega Poster

See, told you there were some knowledgeable well informed people out there....

I propose that if this referendum thing does get passed then we all give EssexDave our proxy vote!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 07:21 PM   #44
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post

If enough people are interested I may be prepared to produce a short(ish - given the length of the topic) report about the EU focusing on the facts and trying to keep my opinion out of it to allow people to make their own judgement if you're interested - drop me a PM.
You should do it, I for one would be very interested.

You could sell it to a respectable paper (if such a thing exist) as a journalistic report.
Old 14-05-13, 08:51 PM   #45
Fordward

Quote:
If your certain you can keep it totally unbisased, then I'd be very interested to read it. That'll be difficult though!
Old 14-05-13, 09:57 PM   #46
EssexDave

It's not difficult to be unbiased, you just present the facts in a clear way without holding back. I can do that because I'm not a person that believes you should all just agree with my view - I believe it because in my head it's the one that makes most sense when considering all the facts.

I'll get something drafted up over the next few weeks/months and you can all have a read.
Old 14-05-13, 10:13 PM   #47
Fordward

Quote:
It's not difficult to be unbiased, you just present the facts in a clear way without holding back.
Two different people with opposing views, would 'present' those same facts in two different ways. A person with an opposing view may even present different facts that you didn't deem relevant.

Last edited by Fordward; 14-05-13 at 10:17 PM.
Old 14-05-13, 10:53 PM   #48
EssexDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
Two different people with opposing views, would 'present' those same facts in two different ways. A person with an opposing view may even present different facts that you didn't deem relevant.
That's all part of it being unbiased. If it's biased then as far as I'm concerned it becomes irrelevant and I may as well just bash on about how I'm a superstar and you should all vote for X because I say so rather than taking the time to provide info - don't worry you'll see when it's done (hopefully) that it's unbiased!
Old 14-05-13, 10:57 PM   #49
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
We had the British standards system before CE...
we still do, certainly we did at least up until a few years ago, eg. gunn & moore (cricket manufacturing company) won't/wouldn't make a chest guard because they make all their safety equipment to british standards and therefore according to them they'd have to make any chest guard they made up to the standard required for a bullet proof vest!

so in that respect british standards are better, however in this particular instance annoyingly over the top for them as they do/did not want to move away from have all of their equipment having the british kite/safety mark.

oh and can i be included in this thing your gonna write up plese dave? i'd be interested to read what you have to say, if nothing else but to try and form an opinion of my own that's based on a wider range of points of view. thanks
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob

Last edited by chris8886; 14-05-13 at 11:01 PM.
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 11:24 PM   #50
Bluefish

I voted no as dave knows more than me, that's essex dave, not that cameron fella.