SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-08-07, 10:14 PM   #41
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chain & Sprocket replacement

Isn't that only for PMs?
Old 10-08-07, 09:35 AM   #42
RhythmJunkie

Could be right there dude!

.....though it does say 'miscellaneous'!
Old 10-08-07, 10:02 AM   #43
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by riktherider View Post
to shange the front sprocket, the easier way is to leave the rear wheel in, then you can wedge a bit of timber through the wheel and swingarm, so when you try to undo the front sprocket, the wheel stops against the timber and you can easily undo the nut. .
Also make sure where you put the timber through the wheel is not the part where the shraider valve is... (lesson learn't the hard way...)
Old 10-08-07, 03:38 PM   #44
inspectorgadget

[quote=RhythmJunkie;1256758]Why is taking out your swing arm frightening? I took one out of a Superdream and an RD400 to grease 'em up for the winter, I can't remember it being difficult? A bit time consuming and messy but not difficult!

Ah!! Those were the days, my 1st road bike was a 'spanking new wet-dream & then an RD350LC, what a difference!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RD350LC.jpg (80.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-08-07, 03:48 PM   #45
inspectorgadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
Ah, the impossible romance of a swift half in The Garibaldi...

Been in the Corwn once & Hunters for lunch a couple of timess... & why have a swift half when you can have 9 or 10....

BTW - Been rushed off feet all week...feckers at work made me redundant so looking for job...darn it!

Am attempting Chain / Sprockets Saturday AM, cos off to a closed supercar 3/4 mile drag shootout on Sunday...should be fun
Old 10-08-07, 05:39 PM   #46
RhythmJunkie

Quote:
my 1st road bike was a 'spanking new wet-dream & then an RD350LC, what a difference
One looks like a motorcycle and the other is a motorcycle?

One wheelies the other can't?

One of them falls over you pick it up....the other one falls over you get a few passers by to help you pick it up?
Old 02-11-07, 10:22 PM   #47
iaincX04

Hi all

It seems to be a really common thing, but I've just been told that I need a new chain and sprocket (my chain's eating into the top part of the chain guard so I want to get it sorted ASAP).

I've seen loads of kits for sale on Ebay and B&C which I can order ok, but I don't have any tools/garage facilities at home so if any members near Hemel Hempstead know what they're doing with sprockets and chains, and fancy earning a few extra quid please email me. Or, if anyone can recommend somewhere reasonable to get it done (for about 100 squid), I'd really appreciate some garage recommendations. My local one wants over 200.

Ta
Iain
Old 12-11-07, 06:18 PM   #48
shortz

Ive just finished changing my chain and sprockets and its a fairly messy time consuming job..... but straight forward.

The only thing i'll say is dont start until you have the RIGHT TOOLS. without the right tools the job would be quite difficult.

Firstly, you need some method of riviting the chain. i wasnt going to splash out on the special tool so i improvised.
i changed the sprockets, you need a size 27 socket head to remove the axle and a size 32 to remove the front sprocket. id also suggest havin a very long handled rachet to remove the front sprocket, you could pull all sorts of muscles trying to loosen the bolt.
The chain being removed was endless, so i had to use a mini angle grinder to remove the studs on one link of the chain. I used a centre punch and hammer to remove the pins. EASY

Attach the new chain to the old one and drag it through onto the front sprocket. disconnect the old chain and with the new link connect the ends of the new chain together.
Here comes the improvisation, place the chain link plate onto the pins and use a g-clamp to squeeze it on. i wouldnt use a hammer for this as it could deform the pins.

once the heads of the pins are through (about 1.7mm of pin showing) i used a lump hammer and a normal hammer to deform the soft heads of the link. this makes it impossible for the link to come back out.

JOB DONE.

This was the first time i did the job, and alltough im pretty well kitted out with regards to tools i needed to buy a size 32 socket head (€32) and a set of G-clapms (€20, i only wanted 1 but had to buy a set of 4)

My advice is, if you have the time and patience, oh and money, go for it. Your gonna need decent tools. Get as far as ya can and if ya need tools go buy them.
Old 12-11-07, 08:13 PM   #49
CB1ROCKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaincX04 View Post
Hi all

It seems to be a really common thing, but I've just been told that I need a new chain and sprocket (my chain's eating into the top part of the chain guard so I want to get it sorted ASAP).

I've seen loads of kits for sale on Ebay and B&C which I can order ok, but I don't have any tools/garage facilities at home so if any members near Hemel Hempstead know what they're doing with sprockets and chains, and fancy earning a few extra quid please email me. Or, if anyone can recommend somewhere reasonable to get it done (for about 100 squid), I'd really appreciate some garage recommendations. My local one wants over 200.

Ta
Iain

Is this a garage trying to scare you into getting your chain changed? Sounds like to me the chain is too slack. Have you adjusted it recently?
Old 13-11-07, 09:58 AM   #50
2mths

I'd love to know what chain riveters proper workshops (in dealers or elsewhere) use. The one I have (borrowed) cost it's owner a fair whack from his local dealer. Having done just 2 chains with it I'm not sure it'll do many more. It bends when you rivet up the pin.