SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-07-06, 06:01 PM   #51
DanAbnormal

Let's start charging them congestion charge too, oh and road tax as they are on the road. And insurance, and while we're at it lets introduce speed limits for cyclists and use special cycle speed cameras!

What a **** he is.
Old 29-07-06, 06:36 PM   #52
northwind
Mega Poster

People are very conflicted in this thread... "Who do I hate more, Ken or cyclists?"
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-06, 08:15 PM   #53
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

What about the bloody pedestrians?They walk put in the road,get over the limit and cause all sorts of mayhem.Example---****ed old fart steps out into the road and gets hit by car.Car is damaged,fart is injured,emergency services are called and lots of hospital and social services costs are incurred.Who pays? We do,and these days the car driver's insurance would cough up some of the costs as well.
So pedesrtians need to be registered and carry insurance,and have a number plate so they can be traced,or they should'nt be allowed out in public.Oh hang on we are going to do something like that anyway with ID cards and hi tech detectors to read the chips in them.
I'm joking of course.Live and let live FFS.The powerful have enough means of controlling us as it is,so lets not encourage them to go further.
Old 30-07-06, 12:15 AM   #54
stevelondon79

As both a cyclist and a biker - in london- it really amuses me the different points of view of both camps. I guess its really because we all share the same conjested roads and all have our peer groups where there are socially accepted norms and the like. eg stick to 30/40/50 and then GLF in a 60 for bikers, similarly to go through reds for pushbikes. Both illegal, but accepted after you've analysed the risks.

I'd like to think I'm a pretty safe, yet assertive rider of both vehicles - If I can do something to stop someone being able to put me in danger then I will (within reason) eg I'll go through red lights on a pushbike if clear, and have a self imposed rule not to cross ahead of pedestrians either. On the motorbike if that means I go over a white line at lights so that a car driver simply cannot cut me up at the TLGP then so be it also. However, if I've done the same on the pushbike then common courtesy means I'll move over or let the bike through asap. (And overtake them as they wait at the next set of red lights )

However, like any road users, there's some pretty **** ones out there in both camps. Some people can't even walk down the pavement without tripping up, pushing their pram into you or the like. The simple fact is some people are just too ****ing stupid to even realise that they may be getting in your way and I see it as my right to manage these simpletons so that I have a safe and quick passage through traffic.

Yeh, of course the reason I go through reds on a pushbike is that I probably won't get caught, and I'd stop if there was a numberplate on the back. I'd probably do it on the motorbike too if I could. Lets face it we'd all do a lot of things if we weren't going to get caught! However, for motorbikers to be so holier than thou over this particular topic does seem to me to be a case of jealousy from a group who enjoy a reputation of the outlaws and boundary pushers of the motoring world.

I'm doing my bit by the way for bike/motorbike group integration however. Try giving a motorbike 'nod' when on a pushbike or vice versa, especially in London - sometimes you can force a begrudging nod back!! Passes the time in traffic anyway!!

As for numberplates, I think there's a few issues about this that will hopefully see red ken shoving the sorry plan up his **** pronto:

Bikes would need to be registered centrally, with a similar scheme to dvla - v expensive
What to do about people with multiple bikes and stolen bikes??
A licensing scheme for riders of pushbikes - no chance.
Old 30-07-06, 07:56 AM   #55
timwilky
Mega Poster

Well my one and only appearance before the beak, was push bike related. On the way home one day on my brothers push bike I was pushing it as fast as I could, head down with visability of about 5 yds ahead because the appalling weather and the restriction in visability brought about by the waterproof clothing I was wearing.

Mr plod decided upon himself that I must be upto no good out in this weather and pulled up sharpley in front of me. I could not stop in time and had to go round him. He therefore decided my brakes were defective and cautioned me. He asked me if it was my bike and I honestly said no it was my brothers.

Imagine my suprise next day when at dinner, plod knocked on the door asked for my brother and cautioned him for aiding and abbetting my offence of the previous day.

So the day came and we both appeared before the bench, pleading not guilty. The fact that it was absolutely throwing it down reducing the braking effieciency of a bicycle and it therefore being unreasonable for him to expect me to stop in the time/distance he had allowed. Damm I was fined £10 and my brother £5.

Fraser, you said you had more important things to do than enforce these kind of laws. I wish you were the plod who pulled me that day. Oh the embarassment of that one stain on my character
Old 30-07-06, 09:34 AM   #56
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno76
As for the red light thing, until jaywalking is outlawed then you can just hop off your bike, toddle along a couple of yards and hop back on again.
Thats what I used to do. I'm lucky where I live are lots of quiet country lanes and also theres a cycle path that runs the whole of my route to work that I can ride on so I dont need to cycle on the road. As to be honest. If you thought car drivers treat you badly on two motorised wheels ride a pushbike during peak times its utterly unbelievable.

I got shouted at my some old granny the other day for riding on the cycle path, that she sholdnt have been walking on as there is another pavement for pedestrians to keep the cyclists and pedestrians seperate. She thought I was going to fast.

You just cant win

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 07:17 AM   #57
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_runt69
Cant see how cyclists can say they're not harming the planet, riding in bus lanes making buses go slower using more fossil fuel and making more greenhouse gases.

Until buses run on clean fuel cyclists are doing more harm to the enviroment than your average car driver.
What an absolute load of rubbish, until people stop having such ridiculous opinions based upon their own personal hatred and zero facts, there is no hope for this planet.

How can a cyclist using zero fuel and slowing a bus down cause more pollution than a car doing 20 - 40 MPG (sometimes less) and slowing everyone down (apart from cycles)?

Get real.....
Old 01-08-06, 08:09 AM   #58
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Let's register every moving object in the country and use sat nav to control them.We could predict and prevent every collision,and save all sorts of injury and bad behavior.
Alternatively we could all just get a life,and stop whining about everyone else who we don't approve of.
Old 01-08-06, 08:29 AM   #59
Kate

If putting numberplates on pushbikes stops the behaviour I witnessed on my way into work today, I'm all for it.

Not one pushbike stopped for a red light. In 3 separate instances, push bikes ran a red light causing buses and cars to have to do an emergency stop.
Old 01-08-06, 08:57 AM   #60
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Let's register every moving object in the country and use sat nav to control them.We could predict and prevent every collision,and save all sorts of injury and bad behavior.
Alternatively we could all just get a life,and stop whining about everyone else who we don't approve of.
Exactimundo

When peeps start keeping to all the rules, then they would have the a right to be unreasonable and/or irrational in their criticism of cyclists etc

Live and let live. Plenty of air to go round.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote