SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-10-09, 10:05 AM   #641
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: F1 Racing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig View Post
Sloppy F1 journailsm by the BBC: "Brawn GP have become the first Formula 1 team to win the constructors' championship in their debut season."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8289217.stm

Surely, the team that won the frst ever Formula One season should lay claim to this accolade. So that'll be in 1950, not 2009. And that'll be Alfa Romeo, not Brawn.
Technically there was no constructors championship in 1950. The First constructors championship was awarded in 1958 to Vanwall who had been running cars in previous years for the Drivers championship so werent a new team like Brawn are.

Of course you could argue that Brawn technically arent a brand new team as they are running the car that Honda would have run this year had they hadnt pulled out.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 10:08 AM   #642
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Technically there was no constructors championship in 1950. The First constructors championship was awarded in 1958 to Vanwall who had been running cars in previous years for the Drivers championship so werent a new team like Brawn are.
Ahh, I didn't realsie that!

I take it back!
Old 20-10-09, 11:43 AM   #643
Daimo

Am i the only one ever that seems to have noticed that Hamilton came from 18th to 3rd?

I've not seen it covered at all by anyone, not on facebook, press, tv or anything.

Great Jensen has won, he drove a blinder, but so did Vettel, and Lewis, who was behined them all, beat them all!!!!!
Old 20-10-09, 12:04 PM   #644
arcdef

Hamilton had his strategy changed early on during the safety car which meant he jumped past everyone else. Still he came as far where as Button had to use some impressive over takes to get up through the field.
Old 20-10-09, 12:20 PM   #645
Daimo

Don't forget though, he was sat on the back of all those cars (until Button broke free) with a car full of fuel though!!!
Old 20-10-09, 04:38 PM   #646
punyXpress
Mega Poster

... also got his super-soft tyres out of the way.
Old 21-10-09, 11:12 AM   #647
Stig

I remember some time ago plenty of people flaming Button saying he was already a has been. People on here too. Have always been a fan of Button and think he is a deserved winner of the championship. There are those that say he is a lucky champion and did not deserve to win it. What a load of bull. He led the championship from the very first race and stayed there to the end. Fantastic effort.
Old 21-10-09, 11:42 AM   #648
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
I remember some time ago plenty of people flaming Button saying he was already a has been. People on here too. Have always been a fan of Button and think he is a deserved winner of the championship. There are those that say he is a lucky champion and did not deserve to win it. What a load of bull. He led the championship from the very first race and stayed there to the end. Fantastic effort.

While I've never had a go at him on here, I have said before that if I was in charge of Honda last year, I would have sacked him without question as his attitude was so incredibly negative and defeatist. He never seemed to have anything positive to say about the car or team.

This year however, he has been a changed man and fully deserves his championship.
Old 21-10-09, 04:15 PM   #649
thedonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
While I've never had a go at him on here, I have said before that if I was in charge of Honda last year, I would have sacked him without question as his attitude was so incredibly negative and defeatist. He never seemed to have anything positive to say about the car or team.

This year however, he has been a changed man and fully deserves his championship.
Jenson had been publicly positive and supportive of the teams efforts in previous years with Honda cars that were the equals or worse than last year's pigdog-on-wheels.

So: If after several years his positive attitude was somewhat dented, because Honda continued to make cars that were- to paraphrase Rubens-"like a parachute on the straights", I'm sure that's fair enough.

And how many drivers have complained of how bad their car was this year? We have Hamilton, Kubica, Heidfeld among others.

Are they equally deserving of P45s?

Or is it the manufacturer/team who have spent millions designing slow cars that can't handle?

Or the FIA for the constant rule changes that interfere in the teams basic improvement of the cars?
Old 21-10-09, 04:28 PM   #650
punyXpress
Mega Poster

So: If after several years his positive attitude was somewhat dented, because Honda continued to make cars that were- to paraphrase Rubens-"like a parachute on the straights", I'm sure that's fair enough.

WE all know what it feels like to briskly ride into a stiff headwind ( especially on naked SVs ) is this what Rubens means, and has he copyright on the quote?