SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-11-08, 04:42 PM   #61
jimmy__riddle

Default Re: Another terrorist attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
I remember seeing something about the crusades on the discovery channel a while ago, seems our christian forebears thought it acceptable to eat non christian babies if supplies were running low whilst on the crusades, and this was taken fron accounts by the crusaders themselves, the west has raped and pillaged countries of their resouces for years and we wonder why they hate us ?
not really an excuse for terrorism though.

Im pretty sure theres lots of people who have survived their homes being destroyed and burnt to the ground etc in WW2, but I dont see many of them suicide bombing berlin.
Old 30-11-08, 05:05 PM   #62
slark01

There is NO excuse for terrorism!
The people who do it are either mentally unstable or just love violence and mayhem.
Religion is irrelevent as everyone can see that terrorism has nothing to do with it.
The Qua 'ran can be interpreted in many ways, and is basically a guide on how to live your life nothing more.
Muslims are not the only people that have fanatics. There are plenty of christians, hindu's etc, that are fanatical enough to kill.
Old 30-11-08, 05:21 PM   #63
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-net View Post
What if they had blown up all the banks call centres we would be at a complet standstill here now!
Now that I'd probably help fund... JOKE! Sheesh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-net View Post
I dont want to lower this too far but what a situation where you deliberately turn your guns on innocent unarmed everyday folk. What excuse is there that could possibly start to justify this activity. NONE.
Greed.
Quote:
I remember seeing something about the crusades on the discovery channel a while ago, seems our christian forebears thought it acceptable to eat non christian babies if supplies were running low whilst on the crusades, and this was taken fron accounts by the crusaders themselves, the west has raped and pillaged countries of their resouces for years and we wonder why they hate us ?
Quote:
wasnt it us invading the holy land ? isnt christianity originally an eastern religion ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
nope it was once home to all religions then one thought it had right more than anyone and took it then it started
The Crusades, was about land. First & foremost. The Crusaders themselves were nothing more than mercenaries (very good ones at that). Initially, the King of France wanted a secure route to send money back & forth to the "holy land" - this is where the Crusaders came in.

Eventually, the King of France decided that they were too greedy, so branded them "religious heretics" and outlawed them. Religion used for persecution. Hmm.

Anyhow, back to the topic...

I'm with Dangerous Dave. As soon as I heard this on the news, my sole thought was "I'm glad they haven't tried to pretend this is Al Qu'eda directly, not their M.O." But I suppose if you say they were "Muslim terrorists" the mind of the average person will assume Al Qu'eda.

Shame about the deaths, but it's more about internal politics than anything else. I'd be surprised to see this type of attack in another country.
Old 30-11-08, 05:21 PM   #64
Davido

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Or punctuation evidently
You missed a full stop.
Old 30-11-08, 05:57 PM   #65
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrichardson View Post
not really an excuse for terrorism though.

Im pretty sure theres lots of people who have survived their homes being destroyed and burnt to the ground etc in WW2, but I dont see many of them suicide bombing berlin.
Yeah, of course its not an excuse for terrorism,but people who carrry out these attacks work on a different set of moral standards than the rest of us and will use any excuse as way of inflicting pain and misery.
Old 30-11-08, 06:33 PM   #66
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffatt666 View Post
Not to drag this down further, but Islam came into existence long after Judaism and Christianity using translated texts from both but has decided that all other religions (including the other Judo-Christians) must be destroyed along with their followers and all non-believers are 'infidel' DESPITE BELIEVING IN THE SAME GOD!
[/rant]
First part is right. Rest is complete nonsense. The Qur'an specifically states that Jews and Christians (and Zoroastrians) are "People of the Book" and not to be considered enemies. From this point of view Islam's actually quite a liberal religion, there's huge acceptance of the religions that have gone before them. Christians and Jews (among others) who live their lives devoutly get the same treatment in the afterlife as muslims, no other religion does that as far as I'm aware. Christianity on the other hand says "You shall have no other gods before me".

(the reason is basically, marketing. Islam came on the scene in a melting pot of cultures where other religions were already strong, so it could only thrive by accomodating them...)

A wee example for you of how this stuff gets misinterpreted and twisted. One of the most famous quotes that you see from the Qur'an, used to suggest that Islam is an intolerant religion, is "And slay them wherever ye find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out" (them being all infidels, and usualyl implied to also mean all christians)

But here's the full quote:

"Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loves not transgressors. And slay them wherever ye find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith. But if they cease, God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevails justice and faith in God; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression"

Little bit different. "God Loves not transgressors" "oppression is worse than slaugher", "If they fight you, slay them" "if they cease, let there be no hostility".

Not going to say it's just the west that misquotes and twists the Qur'an of course, all the tricks and misquotes we use get used just the same by today's jihadist revisionists.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-08, 07:08 PM   #67
gettin2dizzy

Feel free to teach this to some muslims then.

Imams are teaching hate every day in the UK. It's widely known about, yet no one does anything about it.
Old 30-11-08, 07:15 PM   #68
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Feel free to teach this to some muslims then.

Imams are teaching hate every day in the UK. It's widely known about, yet no one does anything about it.
thats a bit of over exaggeration dont you think ?
Old 30-11-08, 07:16 PM   #69
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, and yet of the almost 2 million muslims in the UK, not very many are extremists. So what does that tell you?

As for this particular outrage, only an idiot thinks you can boil India vs Pakistan down to Muslim vs Everyone Else. It'd be like saying that an Irish terrorists was only bombing the mainland because they're a catholic and they hate everyone else.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-08, 07:46 PM   #70
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
thats a bit of over exaggeration dont you think ?
Not really. When the 'extremists' are known within the Islamic communities it is up to them to contact the authorities. Until the islamic public take part in bringing down the loons, then they have a part to play in their ideals. People have brought to light the massive hate-preaching going on in specific mosques across the country, yet it's not being tackled for fear of offence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Yup, and yet of the almost 2 million muslims in the UK, not very many are extremists. So what does that tell you?

As for this particular outrage, only an idiot thinks you can boil India vs Pakistan down to Muslim vs Everyone Else. It'd be like saying that an Irish terrorists was only bombing the mainland because they're a catholic and they hate everyone else.
No. But you'd be an 'idiot' not to associate the recent spate of terrorist attacks with Islam.

The Irish accepted that in order to stop the violence, the public had a part to play. Irish men stopped in airports, searched in the street; all invasive procedures. But it was accepted as part of the peace process. There was no discriminative or racial card being played by them at all.

To even suggest that the whole Islamic community is trying to help solve this situation is absurd.