SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-10-14, 08:57 AM   #71
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Road tax and used cars-new rules

So would you get done for no tax if you taxed it at the start of (in example above) november? They've had their VED for that month albeit from the previous owner.
Old 14-10-14, 09:36 AM   #72
davepreston

you buy a car on sunday, you drive it home , you get home and sort it that week before the v 5 actually hits the dvla's mat, simples
Old 14-10-14, 12:43 PM   #73
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
you buy a car on sunday, you drive it home , you get home and sort it that week before the v 5 actually hits the dvla's mat, simples

Precisely. You would technically be committing an offence when you were driving it home but as I suggested earlier you are extremely unlikely to get prosecuted provided you did subsequently tax it for that period.

And to answer YC proposal, no you can't do that. If we assumed (for the sake of argument) that the car was detected being driven home during October you could be prosecuted if you were to avoid paying for Octobers tax. You might get away with it if you only drove it on the day of the sale (I don't think the point of sale is timed on the V5) but you would then have to SORN it from the next day until you then taxed it on November. Basically any use of the vehicle on a road post the date of sale has to be tax paid by the new owner.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-14, 12:26 PM   #74
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

So the question is how quick do they register the end of previous tax.

Ask the seller to take their time posting the V5?

I still think they're just trying to make criminals of everyone by thinking up ridiculous solutions to non-issues.

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 15-10-14 at 12:28 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-14, 12:58 PM   #75
Red Herring
Mega Poster

From the DVLA side of things it doesn't matter how quickly they process it, eventually they will get round to it and they will see there is a gap between the date the previous seller said he sold it to you, and the date from which you taxed it, and they will come after you for that.

If you are worried about being picked up by the police using ANPR to check against DVLA records don't bother. A vehicle doesn't find it's way onto the DVLA untaxed/unregistered hotlist until it has lapsed by about three months, and even you should be able to tax it by then.....!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-14, 02:15 PM   #76
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
it wont be long till the insurance companies stop handing out insurance certificates.
My last insurance company didn't issue a certificate. It was stored online. Hastings i think it was.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-14, 02:21 PM   #77
Viney
Mega Poster

When you buy the car from the seller, you can apply directly online using the new keeper part of the V5.

Quote:
the 12 digit reference number on your New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) if you've just bought the vehicle
However, if they only calculate per month for refunds then i can see the DVLA making a huge sum of cash over this as some vehicles will effectively been taxed twice for that month. As for the monthly DD, at bloody last. No more worrying about it, or having to find a lump some once a year. yes it will go up, yes its a con, but we have to pay it, so why not make it easy for myself.
Old 15-10-14, 05:54 PM   #78
thefallenangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
When you buy the car from the seller, you can apply directly online using the new keeper part of the V5.

However, if they only calculate per month for refunds then i can see the DVLA making a huge sum of cash over this as some vehicles will effectively been taxed twice for that month. As for the monthly DD, at bloody last. No more worrying about it, or having to find a lump some once a year. yes it will go up, yes its a con, but we have to pay it, so why not make it easy for myself.

A direct debit for £30 tax or less seems unnecessary and if you are on stupid tax prices then finding a few hundred quid is less likely to affect you.
Old 15-10-14, 06:05 PM   #79
Viney
Mega Poster

Agreed but my annual for the car is 145. The bike I will probably still tax in one go. I still think that road tax should be combined with petrol.

Last edited by Viney; 15-10-14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 15-10-14, 06:17 PM   #80
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Agreed but my annual forbade car is 145. The bike I will probably still tax in one go. I still think that road tax should be combined with petrol.
We're heading back into familiar ground here.

Vehicle Excise Duty is just another meaningless tax from the days when most people only owned three expensive things. Car, TV and house, so the government taxed all three.

If it was my choice I'd go for tax on fuel based on the fossil carbon content, with a nominal rate for things like bio-ethanol and bio-diesel. That would give everyone a bigger incentive to move away from fossil fuels for transport.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote