SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-12, 09:22 PM   #81
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Improving comfort on the SV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agy View Post
i still don't know what is the difference between these two:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV6...#ht_500wt_1202

the ones above have the same reach as the OEM (the ones that are on your bike right now) but are higher with not as much rake (angle of bar towards the ground) so will sit you up more but you will still have the same reach over the tank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2209776968...#ht_3894wt_952

the ones above are fully adjustable and will give you less reach (closer to you then the ones currently on your bike) and will also give you less rake but because the bars are closer you will not be reaching over the tank as much.

which ones will come closer to me? i think my arms are too short!
you guys use too much tecchie lingo hence why I got lost a few pages ago and still haven't been able to catch up. LOL
you may or may not need longer cables/brake lines etc.etc. but you must be prepared to spend extra cash if they do.

as being roughly the same hight i know your problems well. and the only solution i personally would consider is the full comfort bar kit or just get used to the fact that you are short and every bike is going to have some sort of problem and without spending serious cash there is nothing you can do, take it from me if there was a cheep solution to being short and riding an SV i would know about it
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-12, 09:27 PM   #82
agy

LOL

but why didn't you just get the clip ons. 70 quid - bars higher AND closer. man, i just don't have 240 to spend on bars... simply no can do
Old 30-06-12, 09:35 PM   #83
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
I can't see myself getting used to it.
No-one ever does.
Quote:
the bars are just too far for me.
Higher bars are not at all certain to help this.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-12, 09:48 PM   #84
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

After smashing up my elbow on an ER6 hire bike then having my Achilles detached, rebuilt and reattached I've been finding the SV really uncomfortable too. My solution until my Achilles is healed is to buy another bike, but at £6k it's not a cheap solution. I'm keeping the SV too. I've got a custom seat which includes a gel pad and that helps. Mr LPH sometimes uses an Airhawk pad and everyone who has them say how good they are, but depends if you don't mind sitting a bit higher.

How heavy is your helmet? I've got a very light Shoei but on the SV I get wind blasted up into my eyes but no neck ache. My Caberg is better on my eyes but being much heavier I notice my neck aches. I even get it when I'm pillion with the Caberg but not the Shoei so I'm sure it's a weight thing.
Old 30-06-12, 10:01 PM   #85
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
LOL

don't have 240 to spend on bars... simply no can do
then i would suggest you put up with what you have until such times you do have the funds. no half measures.

be thankful your not me. small + fat + very short legs = £1k over the price of the bike to get it to fit. but you know what it's worth every penny
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-12, 10:59 PM   #86
Fozzy

I've added a gel seat, adjustable levers and riser clipons to get me comfortable.
Im 5'8 and i still get sore legs and back of knee. So i may even go for plates to lower the foot pegs but comfort is much better now after those 3 modes but its cost me about £200 so far.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-07-12, 09:49 AM   #87
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
then i would suggest you put up with what you have until such times you do have the funds. no half measures.

be thankful your not me. small + fat + very short legs = £1k over the price of the bike to get it to fit. but you know what it's worth every penny
You managed to get leg extensions and the tummy tuck for a grand? Send me name of your surgeon!

Agy, if you want to try my scooped out lowered gel seat then I can bring it into Soho and let you try it, I come by train so I'll just bung it in my bag.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 01-07-12 at 09:52 AM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 12:56 PM   #88
agy

hahahahahaha! good one!

yeah I'd love to try it but only if you're absolutely sure it's no bother to bring it
Old 01-07-12, 03:11 PM   #89
-Ralph-

Quote:
How many rest breaks do you guys take? Maybe I should stop at least once an hour.
After 20 years of riding bikes I finally learned my lesson the painful way by riding home from Northern Ireland in gale force winds last May. Last 180 miles of that was non-stop. It was a mental and physical endurance test, and far from being enjoyable.

That put me on the physiotherapists table once a week, until I went to Portugal in August, and forced me to plan in hourly stops into my trip.

The journey from Santander in Spain to Covilha in Portugal was about 350 miles. I did it in five stints of 70 miles, which meant stopping every 50 minutes to 1 hour.

The first hour = easy.

Coffee, then complete the second hour = easy too.

End of the third hour, stop for something to eat, realise you are three fifths of the way there, and you only have two more of those easy 1 hour stints to do.

Journey completed in 7-8 hours, having left Santander at midday, and had over an hour to sit down and eat lunch, arrived in time for an evening meal, and not even feeling tired.

500 miles of motorway is easily possible in a day if you split into 7 stints of approximately 1 hour each, and eat/drink lightly at each stop.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 01-07-12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 06:33 PM   #90
quik_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
After smashing up my elbow on an ER6 hire bike then having my Achilles detached, rebuilt and reattached I've been finding the SV really uncomfortable too. My solution until my Achilles is healed is to buy another bike, but at £6k it's not a cheap solution. I'm keeping the SV too. I've got a custom seat which includes a gel pad and that helps. Mr LPH sometimes uses an Airhawk pad and everyone who has them say how good they are, but depends if you don't mind sitting a bit higher.

How heavy is your helmet? I've got a very light Shoei but on the SV I get wind blasted up into my eyes but no neck ache. My Caberg is better on my eyes but being much heavier I notice my neck aches. I even get it when I'm pillion with the Caberg but not the Shoei so I'm sure it's a weight thing.
I had your same issue with wind going up the helmet, a chin curtain really helped. and i know Shoei do one for about £20 for most their helmets