SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-12-16, 11:21 AM   #81
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Involved in an accident- Advice needed please

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Anyhow moving on, Emankiwi.

Those brackets are pants. They literally only hold the fairing in place. They offer no structural support in an off. My bike once stalled pulling out of a side road, basically doing 1 mile an hour.
However I was wrong footed and couldn't stop the inevitable. I held it up in limbo for as long as I could. But had no choice when my back finally said no more than to place my bike on the ground. The banana bracket simply crumpled. Piece of ****.

That's why I purchased a set of R&G protectors, ok they cost £95.00. But having had the bike slip off the side stand one morning and smash into the floor. With zero damage to the fairing. I'm quite glad I did. Shame it didn't save the rear plastic too.

Sorry but I binned the other side in rage at the time.

As before, good luck getting it all sorted.

Agree on the R&Gs, I had some on my SV and on the day when I went to put my foot down at a T-junction only to discover a big dent under my foot in the Tarmac I laid the bike down as gently as possible and the only damage was the end broke off the gear changer. A friend did a similar thing on his GSXF without bungs and managed a ridiculous amount of expensive cosmetic damage - of course he did this the day after asking me if I thought bungs were worth the £85 and should he order some? S0d's law at its finest.
Old 01-12-16, 12:54 PM   #82
Blapper

OMG LPH - sounds like me!

I'm looking for some for my curvy now...
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 02:27 PM   #83
Swin

Hit a patch of black ice on my SV a few years back, the R&Gs prevented nearly all the damage, although I did have a chip out of the rear cotton bobbin where it touched down. Had to replace the crash bung, but as LPH says, that could have turned out a hell of a lot more expensive without them
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 05:06 PM   #84
Blapper

You mean I could have avoided this: 2016-11-20 13.08.35 by Andrew Hayes, on Flickr
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 09:35 PM   #85
shiftin_gear98

Yep
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 09:55 PM   #86
Emankiwi

Will be selling the bike in Spring because I am too young to die or to get any permanent disability. I did only 2,000 miles total before this happened and it wasn't the first close call, Had 2 just in November then this happened. So I would like to get the bike back to original condition and then sell it.

Good new is that bike is written off and I will buy it back.

Thank you for your advice, totally agree that in a crash those brackets are useless and probably do more damage...
Old 01-12-16, 10:14 PM   #87
Fordward

Would thoroughly recommend advanced training, teaches you how to anticipate and avoid this kind of thing.

I'm 24 years without a collision with another vehicle, all my accidents have been due to going too fast on country roads.

I do about 12000 miles a year on average by motorbike. Couple of years ago due to a few European trips it was 16000.

Decided several years ago to stop riding like a muppet because that was the only time I crashed, so the logic was stop doing stupid things you'll stop crashing. So far it has worked, touch wood! Haven't crashed since.

Motorcycling doesn't have to be dangerous, it's all down to the rider.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-16, 10:18 PM   #88
Emankiwi

What you said is very true, but I haven't been a very good rider and because the bike is used just for fun my riding is very aggressive, I am only 20.
I will possibly get a bike in future but at the moment I would rather not risk my life.
Old 01-12-16, 10:20 PM   #89
Emankiwi

Also that was my first bike, and I passed after only 11 hours of training. So that's definitely not how you want to start riding.
Old 02-12-16, 12:18 AM   #90
TamSV
Mega Poster

If you're not keeping the bike I assume the only reason to keep the salvage would be to squeeze a bit more cash out of the situation. If so, do your sums carefully.

You might be better off just taking the write off settlement.

A Cat D is worth less as it's a non-starter for a lot of people. One that's been repaired on the cheap even more so.

I'm not saying don't take it back, just don't do it because everyone seems to think it's always a good idea. Sometimes it isn't the best move.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote