SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-10, 09:23 PM   #1
sv4me
Mega Poster

Default Q plates and insurance

Having read a fair bit on green laning on here i've decided to jump on the bandwagon so my CR125 is booked in for a daytime MOT at the weekend.

I've read on t'internet that i'd have to contact Honda UK and get something called a certificate of newness if I wanted it on an age related plate. 2bh I wasn't that bothered about it going on a Q plate but just wondered if it would mean any hassle when it comes to getting insurance. Anyone have any experience with kitcars/offroaders and Q plates?

Thanks
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 10:04 PM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: Q plates and insurance

q plates can be a mare and insurance will charge more than a normal plate, just do the legwork to save paying the piper on insurance
Old 12-10-10, 10:11 PM   #3
speedplay

As Dave said.

Q plate on a 1999 dt125r made the insurance 900 quid TPFT )as it was stolen recovered but the engine number was damaged).
I got an f reg frame on ebay with a v5 and plate for 150 quid and transfered everything across and the insurance was 70quid FC.

Most insurers wont even touch them.

Q Plates are a massive con so avoid them if you can.
Old 13-10-10, 01:15 PM   #4
sv4me
Mega Poster

Thanks for the heads up guys

Put a call in to Honda this morning, should be getting my letter through the post in the next 3-5 working days

Just out of curiosity, doesnt anything on a Q plate have to be inspected by DVLA as well as gaining an MOT before being granted a reg plate. So why do the insurance companies have such a problem with them?

Oh yeah because theyre complete *******s, just answered my own question!
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-10, 03:12 PM   #5
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4me View Post
So why do the insurance companies have such a problem with them?

Bunch of d1ckhead5