SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-02-08, 07:06 PM   #1
coggers28

Default Card fraud

Got phone call this afternoon from Barclays Fraud department they said there has been some large transactions from my acount and could i explain them.
Well to cut a long story short it appears Mr or Mrs X has been using my card. This is the 3rd time in ?years. After a bit of investigation I have come to the
conclusion that the only time that they could have got my details was at a petrol station.
What pees me off is that the he majority of credit card fraud is done at petrol stations

Why can't something be done to stop these c***s.

From now on cash it is.
Old 11-02-08, 07:17 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: Card fraud

You're lucky you can use cash. Some petrol stations in some parts of london wont accept it as is too dodgy apparently

But yeh i agree that there needs to be better systems in place to stop card cloning cos as well all know this chip n pin nonsense does nothing to safeguard us at all but is a get out clause for the banks to say "well we dont know your pin....you MUST have told someone or allowed then to find it out so its all your own fault!"

Wunch of bankers!!
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 10:43 PM   #3
Essex of Essex

Stopped for a bite to eat the other day, mate paid with his card, card was taken away from the table but remained in sight went through the machine and was returned with the payment slip "thank you have a nice day" no pin number, no signature, account debited! He challenged the waiter and was told they allways did it like that it was quicker, effectively a transaction without the customer being present just as if he had ordered something by telephone. Since then I have insisted that the card machine is brought to the table they must have used the 3 digit security code off the back of the card.

No names but it was a large chain of noodle resturants.
Old 11-02-08, 10:53 PM   #4
rob13

Coggers, have you been and checked your account yourself either at an ATM or online?
The reason I ask is that some people have been scammed into a providing details over the phone to a "fraud dept" when really it is a scam in itself.
Old 12-02-08, 12:46 AM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Coggers, have you been and checked your account yourself either at an ATM or online?
The reason I ask is that some people have been scammed into a providing details over the phone to a "fraud dept" when really it is a scam in itself.
My thoughts too.

I've had a couple of obvious scam phone calls purporting to be my bank, and once from a credit card co. which turned out to be genuine (they didn't ask for any identification nor details, only confirmation of very basic descriptions of transactions which were genuine but not "typical").

If in any doubt, say you'll ring them, ask for a reference, and get their phone no. yourself from an independant source (statements or website etc). If they are genuine they should be happy to do this.

Also beware anyone saying they're from Visa or Mastercard, they will never call you (you'll deal with the card provider not Visa etc).
Old 12-02-08, 02:04 AM   #6
BanannaMan

I run a Chevron petrol station here in the States.
It is impossible for an employee to gain access to your full card # at any Chevron/Texaco station.
Our computer records and your reciept only show the last 4 digits on the card.
And you MUST have the actual card (not just the #) to use it for purchases here.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 01:45 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanannaMan View Post
It is impossible for an employee to gain access to your full card # at any Chevron/Texaco station.
Do you not hand the card over at any point? Do they not have eyes?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 07:21 PM   #8
Gordon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex of Essex View Post
Stopped for a bite to eat the other day, mate paid with his card, card was taken away from the table but remained in sight went through the machine and was returned with the payment slip "thank you have a nice day" no pin number, no signature, account debited! He challenged the waiter and was told they allways did it like that it was quicker, effectively a transaction without the customer being present just as if he had ordered something by telephone. Since then I have insisted that the card machine is brought to the table they must have used the 3 digit security code off the back of the card.

That is worrying. When I had a shop if you punched the 'customer not present' button on the pdq machine, you needed their address and postcode to complete the transaction. I would seriously question what went on there.

Gordon
Old 12-02-08, 09:44 PM   #9
Well Oiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex of Essex View Post

They did that to me at Stansted airport. Found it very strange and asked why - they said they do it to speed service up. That's the only time I've not been asked to use chip and pin.
Old 12-02-08, 09:48 PM   #10
Well Oiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
You're lucky you can use cash. Some petrol stations in some parts of london wont accept it as is too dodgy apparently

But yeh i agree that there needs to be better systems in place to stop card cloning cos as well all know this chip n pin nonsense does nothing to safeguard us at all but is a get out clause for the banks to say "well we dont know your pin....you MUST have told someone or allowed then to find it out so its all your own fault!"

Wunch of bankers!!
I feel a lot safer with chip and pin than I used to without it, and the statistics don't agree with you. Since it was introduced there's been a lot less card fraud, despite a big rise in the use of credit cards for online transactions. It's obviously not fail safe but it's a big improvement.