SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-04-07, 03:56 PM   #1
aarond

Default Is this fraud?

about 2 weeks ago i was riding along on my old bike ( a yamaha xj600) following a lorry cab. Any way he stopped suddenly after a car pulled out between parked cars and reversed to let the car through. He obviously didn't look behind him because i could see his face in his mirror nor did he hear me beeping my horn as i frantically tried to move back out of his way. Needless to say he reversed on top of my bike and would have reversed onto me as well if i didn't jump off. Cutting a long story short i got told via BLD that the bike was a category c write off so i got the insurance money the lorry accepted liability and received a letter saying i was to retain the salvage( from the lorries insurance company) So BLD contact me to find out when they can pick up their hire bike and find out what i want to do with my old bike. I said i would like it back, thinking i could make some money by selling parts etc. However the nice lady i was speaking to said selling parts would be fraud. How can this be?

Thanks
( the upside of the story was with the insurance money was able to buy a second hand sv650s which i love )

Last edited by aarond; 15-04-07 at 04:58 PM.
Old 15-04-07, 04:33 PM   #2
danf1234

Default Re: Is this fraud?

eh is that in code?
Old 15-04-07, 05:01 PM   #3
aarond

edited it now hopefully makes more sense sorry
Old 15-04-07, 05:14 PM   #4
skint

If I have understood this I would say it is fraud because who have been paid for the bike in the insurance payout so technically the bike is then theirs. If you sell it or parts of it you are getting a double payout.

Whether fraud is the right term I dunno but I can see where they may be coming from...
Old 15-04-07, 05:53 PM   #5
Kate

Surely if you buy the bike back then its yours to do what you wish? Who has the V5?
Old 15-04-07, 06:02 PM   #6
aarond

I have the V5 what happened was BLD took the bike from me to assess the damage, then the lorry's assessor confirmed it was a right off and we settled on a value for the bike. Then the lorry's insurance company sent me a letter with a cheque for the agreed value and also stating that i was to retain salvage. This is where i am confused because i have the letter confirming the value i was given and also saying i can retain salvage, so i cant decide it BLD are correct or not or just irritated that the lorry's insurance sent the payment direct to me and not to them first?
Old 15-04-07, 06:14 PM   #7
Kate

that all sounds kinda weird to me, but I would say is that whoever has the V5 can do the hell they want with the bike.
Old 15-04-07, 06:24 PM   #8
aarond

alright thanks for your help i figure i have got the V5 and also got the lorry's insurance letter to say i am to retain salvage so fingers crossed it will be ok!
Old 15-04-07, 07:00 PM   #9
petevtwin650

So you have the V5, insurance payout and a letter saying you may retain the salvage. I think the lorry company insurers couldn't be bothered to deal with the scrap bike and have let you have it. All above board as far as I can see.

BLD may be unhappy because they were hoping to get the scrap bike maybe to dispose of through their connections.
Old 15-04-07, 07:13 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Did they deduct some money from the value of the bike when they paid you?
If so then you bought the bike back off them and it is yours to sell I would have thought.