SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-08, 05:51 AM   #1
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Tyre Shelf Life?

I've had Suzy for three years and put Avon Azaros on her aprox 2 years ago..no more than that.
Shes been in and out of the shed on rare occasions, and the tyres haven't even been run in proper.

Now...question, how olds too old for a set of tyres that are effectively 1000 miles old but 2 years old...if ya get me.

Reason I'm asking is, I got home this morning and noticed small tiny cracks-not many- only on rear too.

usually i would put this down to road conditions, and the heat of the road etc. Had a fumble about and their aren't any foreign bodies in em, or excessively deep. I did NW3 on her and there weren't any then( it was wet n cold) but now there are. Don't fancy getting rid of a new set of tyres on a whim, but I do know they have a shelf life. Like I said they've been used on and off for two years

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-08, 06:38 AM   #2
lukemillar

Default Re: Tyre Shelf Life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I've had Suzy for three years and put Avon Azaros on her aprox 2 years ago..no more than that.
Shes been in and out of the shed on rare occasions, and the tyres haven't even been run in proper.

Now...question, how olds too old for a set of tyres that are effectively 1000 miles old but 2 years old...if ya get me.

Reason I'm asking is, I got home this morning and noticed small tiny cracks-not many- only on rear too.

usually i would put this down to road conditions, and the heat of the road etc. Had a fumble about and their aren't any foreign bodies in em, or excessively deep. I did NW3 on her and there weren't any then( it was wet n cold) but now there are. Don't fancy getting rid of a new set of tyres on a whim, but I do know they have a shelf life. Like I said they've been used on and off for two years

I had a similar thing recently. I bought my bike second hand with one owner and it was 2 years old - only he had done about 1500kms on it. The tyres had loads of tread left, but given the bike was 2 years old and the rubber would have already been maybe a year old at that point?? made it ~2.5/3years old tyres. There was similar cracking on them and they felt very dry and took an age to warm up. I did a trackday on them and crashed (lowside - mid corner, front washed out)! I know what I did wrong, but if the rubber had been new then I doubt it would have let go, as they definitely seemed off.

I rode around on them in town for a bit, but then ended up getting some new ones. Maybe it is just because they are new and will obviously feel better or there is a placebo effect too, but they feel a million times better - especially when pushing it!