SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-09, 10:21 AM   #1
Grinch

Default Stroking a 2-stroke.

I know where there is 2-stroke 250, that I might be laying my hands on. Now it probably hasn't been running for about 5 years now. I think there is still some oil in it, and I know the last time it had a battery it did run. As I rode it.
Now is there anything I need to know about stroking a 2-stroke back to life other then the usual thing of first replacing all the oil/liquids in the bike.
Just so you know its a Kawasaki KR1-S C2.
Old 10-07-09, 10:35 AM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stroking a 2-stroke.

check the tyres & brakes, swap the engine oil (if you care about the motor), renew the petrol (don't forget to mix in some two stroke oil!) get some easy start to hand( or if you're feeling crude wd40 up the air intake). Try charging the battery and get ready for some exercise (kickstart). Might be an idea to swap the plugs / give it a full service - are you indending to run it?

Last edited by Dave20046; 10-07-09 at 10:36 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 11:11 AM   #3
suzsv650

If it were me id strip the top end and replace the piston rings. It will take you half a day and cost about £30. Whist your there you could give it a good inspection!

Then give it a dam good warm up before you ride.
Old 10-07-09, 11:43 AM   #4
skidmarx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
I know where there is 2-stroke 250, that I might be laying my hands on. Now it probably hasn't been running for about 5 years now. I think there is still some oil in it, and I know the last time it had a battery it did run. As I rode it.
Now is there anything I need to know about stroking a 2-stroke back to life other then the usual thing of first replacing all the oil/liquids in the bike.
Just so you know its a Kawasaki KR1-S C2.
Wow! Get that puppy back on the road!
Not sure about modernish 2 strokes, but the main oil seals used to be a problem if 2 stroke engine was left for a while. They dry out and then you get no/little/poor compression. No way of telling unless you try it! But the info could save you heaps of time if it isn't running very well....
ps, I'd run some oil down the bores and hand crank it for a bit in case it's seized up with gunk..
Old 10-07-09, 12:00 PM   #5
Sosha

I'm another subscriber to whop the barrels off & change the rings.

KR1?

Last edited by Sosha; 10-07-09 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 12:06 PM   #6
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
check the tyres & brakes, swap the engine oil (if you care about the motor), renew the petrol (don't forget to mix in some two stroke oil!) get some easy start to hand( or if you're feeling crude wd40 up the air intake). Try charging the battery and get ready for some exercise (kickstart). Might be an idea to swap the plugs / give it a full service - are you indending to run it?
Well the brakes and tyres will need to be swapped before it goes on the road, but I was looking at concentrating on the engine first. No point doing the rest if its a duffer.
I shouldn't need to mix the 2 stroke oil as it mixes itself as far as I recall, or are you recomending I add a little more.
The battery is duff, but I have some overs about that I can use to get it running.
Yes its a kickstart, the last time I had it running it was 15 kicks before it fired.
The plan is to put it on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsv650 View Post
If it were me id strip the top end and replace the piston rings. It will take you half a day and cost about £30. Whist your there you could give it a good inspection!

Then give it a dam good warm up before you ride.
Might be a idea... Oh yes, I remember it well be told to always warm it up first. It was start it, then go make a brew and have a fag (when I smoked) then take her out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarx View Post
Wow! Get that puppy back on the road!
Not sure about modernish 2 strokes, but the main oil seals used to be a problem if 2 stroke engine was left for a while. They dry out and then you get no/little/poor compression. No way of telling unless you try it! But the info could save you heaps of time if it isn't running very well....
ps, I'd run some oil down the bores and hand crank it for a bit in case it's seized up with gunk..
That might be one of the problems with it many moons ago as when you tried to open her up the was no power at the top, so it could have been the seals have dried out. Another engine for the bench then...
Old 10-07-09, 12:12 PM   #7
Grinch

Here you go... I found a old photo -

Old 10-07-09, 12:13 PM   #8
Sosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
I shouldn't need to mix the 2 stroke oil as it mixes itself as far as I recall, or are you recomending I add a little more.
While you're in the neighbourhood then - prob worth checking the oil pump is running OK.

EDIT: Kewwwwl

Last edited by Sosha; 10-07-09 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 12:17 PM   #9
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Forgive the semi derail. I didn't know 2 strokes used engine oil, other than the oil you pemix or the bike mixes with the petrol

Beautiful photo Get it running again
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 12:21 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

according to two smoke blue stroke at the end of the couch

check the suspension bearings, cause they can be deathtraps if not working properly.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote