SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-05-22, 06:10 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Mhairi Black MP

Her speech is worth a listen.

https://twitter.com/MhairiBlack/stat...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 20-05-22, 07:39 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Mhairi Black MP

To be fair, most of her speeches are worth listening to. I'm glad she decided to stay in parliament, as I believe she became disillusioned with Westminster in her previous term.

I watched this particular one yesterday and agree, the evermore authoritarian attitude of Parliament is a worry.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-22, 12:58 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

She is spot on. It's terrifying just how many people are willing to avert their eyes when it comes to the sickening slide into far right politics that Britain, or more specifically, England, is undergoing.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-22, 04:25 PM   #4
redtrummy

Hopefully, in the not too distant future people will realise that a more fair equal society would be better for all - we can only hope
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-22, 08:03 PM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Hopefully, in the not too distant future people will realise that a more fair equal society would be better for all - we can only hope
I really hope you're right RT, however I shan't be holding my breath over that one. It seems to me that a lot of people suffer with an extreme form of cognitive dissonance on stuff like this, while others are either irredeemably gullible or just plain stupid.

I'm not optimistic.....
Old 21-05-22, 12:49 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

all very well having a rant but stick to one point....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-22, 08:13 PM   #7
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
all very well having a rant but stick to one point....
I reckon most of us are capable of taking on board more than one point at a time Bibs. Her main point really is about the utter inhumanity and corruption of the Westminster government.
Old 22-05-22, 10:12 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I reckon most of us are capable of taking on board more than one point at a time Bibs. Her main point really is about the utter inhumanity and corruption of the Westminster government.
The UK Government is a reflection of the people, after all its the British (English) people that vote the current elected into power.

as for politicians voicing their views in the house, i'm afraid it falls on deaf ears especially if the subjects are all over the place. its better to expand on one or two subjects and make a more valid point. also a politician should not be voicing their opinion but that of the people in their constituency.

we need a complete change to the way our Government is conducted, out with the old complicated rituals and in with a more business like structure. we can but dream.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-22, 04:20 PM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
..... also a politician should not be voicing their opinion but that of the people in their constituency......
That debate has been ongoing for 250yrs or more. https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...udgement-or-do

Are they delegates or representatives, or as Burke suggested they operate in a "trustee model of representation".
The apparent opinion split between supporters of Conservative vs Labour, leave vs remain, is an interesting one, and probably a lot can be read into the findings if you are so inclined.

The insidious "mission creep" of especially right wing governments is always a worry, they will always tell you it's in your interests that they are taking more power, it's for your own good. Yeah, right. They believe in fair democratic process as long as they get to decide what is done. Tell people what they want to hear and they'll vote for it, then do whatever you want once you get the power. It worked in 1930s Germany and 2016 USA and UK, it'll carry on working in the future.