SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-03-22, 08:11 AM   #21
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: RIP test rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I couldn't really afford it but I have usually found there was something about a bike that annoyed me and I needed to change or I felt the mileage was building up too far.
Why buy something and not ride it as much as you want? They're designed to be ridden and enjoyed.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 08:05 PM   #22
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Why buy something and not ride it as much as you want? They're designed to be ridden and enjoyed.
I do ride them as much as I want ! I do well over what dealers seem to regard as average mileage; I did about 14000 miles in less than 2 years on my last bike if I remember correctly. What I meant was I like to sell them before the mileage is too high in order to get a decent price in part exchange.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 07:44 PM   #23
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I do ride them as much as I want ! I do well over what dealers seem to regard as average mileage; I did about 14000 miles in less than 2 years on my last bike if I remember correctly. What I meant was I like to sell them before the mileage is too high in order to get a decent price in part exchange.
You ride them enough, but probably not as much as you want to? Miles don't make a big difference to the price, so long as they're not astronomical and far out of kilter to the norm.
Plenty of bikes sell well with miles on, as they're expected to be used. eg touring Bikes, mid-weight sports Bikes, commuter Bikes etc

BMW F800ST
Old 09-03-22, 12:28 AM   #24
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
You ride them enough, but probably not as much as you want to? Miles don't make a big difference to the price, so long as they're not astronomical and far out of kilter to the norm.
Plenty of bikes sell well with miles on, as they're expected to be used. eg touring Bikes, mid-weight sports Bikes, commuter Bikes etc
I don't understand - I know how much I want to ride and I ride when I want
to ! If I trade in a bike after say 2 years of riding it that doesn't mean I put off riding it ! I agree bikes are meant to be ridden but dealers do consider mileage.
I was a amazed once when part exchanging that a dealer said my bike had done above average mileage because I had done more than something like 4,000 miles a year.
Old 09-03-22, 01:38 PM   #25
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Depends on the bikes and the dealer. BMW don't like to take any bikes in for used stock if it's over 30k miles, even their tourers. A lot of people would say a VFR with 30k on it is just starting to get going. Try selling a GSXR with 40k miles on it. Sportsbikes don't get a lot of interest at higher mileages.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-22, 08:33 PM   #26
DJ123
Mega Poster

BMW will take them in, but not sell them via the main dealer. I would imagine this is due to the warranty terms (my local dealer gives 2 year warranty and recovery on used bikes), and also for selling more premium Bikes, vs those with higher miles on.

The same is on particular ages too, usually not more than 5(ish) years old unless its special edition/rare/unique etc.

BMW F800ST
Old 09-03-22, 11:47 PM   #27
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Depends on the bikes and the dealer. BMW don't like to take any bikes in for used stock if it's over 30k miles, even their tourers. A lot of people would say a VFR with 30k on it is just starting to get going. Try selling a GSXR with 40k miles on it. Sportsbikes don't get a lot of interest at higher mileages.
Bikes are meant to be ridden as I said previously but most dealers would state 'low mileage ' as a selling point on used bikes. I think most people would prefer a bike that has been looked after and ridden rather than just stuck in a garage.