SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-09-10, 08:17 AM   #1
benji106

Default Rear brakes stuck on.

Whilst on the motorway
My normal journey to work involves travelling down the M4 for 1 junction. This morning I left the house, bike was fine on the way to J11, felt normal.
I was making progress down the Motorway and just before my exit the bike started to feel sluggish, not picking up as it should, but revving freely with the clutch in, hmm odd.

anyway get off at my exit J10 and coming up to the lights the bike is slowing down way quicker than it should be off the throttle, touch the rear brakes and they are locked on solid! turn round and there is brake fluid ****ing out of the back and smoke coming from the rear caliper/disk. The fluid was coming out under the seat so I assume it was coming from the resevoir as a result of the fluid boiling over?

Well Im in the middle lane of the Mway exit slip road so cant hang about there, lights go green so I give the rear brake a good kick and pull away, when I get to the next set of lights on the roundabout the brake lever is free. Im 30 seconds away from work at this point so decide top carry on as the brakes have freed up. I got to the office car park and the rear disk is covered in brake pad residue and dust. The rear brake is now free, but not much left in the way of pads.

So, Cause? I guess I must have touched the rear brakes and one of the pistons got stuck?

I will need to strip and clean the rear caliper, new pads, bleed and replace brake fluid.

Is my diagnosis correct? or could there be something else at fault?

Background: Y reg SV, 19000 miles. Been in my possesion a couple of months, not touched the brakes myself but has been serviced annualy.
Old 21-09-10, 08:38 AM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear brakes stuck on

I would bet a dust seal has adhered to the piston and been pulled through, stopping the piston from backing off.

Fun part will be if the previous owner has not maintained the caliper and the retaining pins are seized in place. It is a poor design, well documented and a search will prove useful for rebuilding. Try to avoid splitting the caliper.
Old 21-09-10, 09:11 AM   #3
benji106

Thanks, will do a search, how likely do you suppose it is that the disks are fubared from the heat?
Old 21-09-10, 09:25 AM   #4
benji106

I dont bloody believe it....
Just went and had another look at the bike in the car park and found the cause...
I had the seat off at the weekend to put the battery on charge, I dropped on of the little allen key bolts that hold the infill panels, couldnt find it anywhere and assumed that it had been sacrificed to the garage gods, anyway looks like it had dropped into the rear brake linkage and been caught between the linkage and the hanger, jamming the rear brake on when I applied it DOH.
Old 21-09-10, 10:00 AM   #5
husky03
Mega Poster

could have been a very sore lesson but if its only gonna cost you brake fluid you've got off lightly-always find that dropped bit
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-10, 11:36 AM   #6
benji106

Looks like fluid, pads, and the hose has ruptured as well so will be upgrading to braided lines. Sometimes the garage does swallow up bolts/screws/sockets and I was in a rush this morning, but will certainly be doing a more through check to make sure it hasnt found a new home somewhere on the bike in future.
Old 21-09-10, 12:35 PM   #7
Al_Sweetman

Youch! As an aside, I thought that the insulator pad between the pads and the pistons was meant to stop brake fluid boil?

A.
Old 21-09-10, 12:36 PM   #8
benji106

About to order the following from Wemoto, unless anyone thinks I have missed something, or would recommend a different supplier:

1 x Suzuki SV 650 SK1/SK2/SX/SY Dot 4 Hydraulic Fluid 500 ml @ 4.50
1 x Suzuki SV 650 SK1/SK2/SX/SY HEL Rear Hydraulic Hose
@ 24.95
1 x Suzuki SV 650 SK1/SK2/SX/SY Pads Rear EBC Standard (GG Type)
@ 16.66
1 x Suzuki SV 650 SK1/SK2/SX/SY Rebuild Kit Full Seals Caliper - Rear
@ 17.63
Old 21-09-10, 12:48 PM   #9
Al_Sweetman

Does the rebuild kit include a new bleed nipple?
Old 21-09-10, 12:51 PM   #10
benji106

A bleed nipple cover, but not a bleed nipple going by the photo. only £3 so added onto order. anything else?