SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-06, 11:52 AM   #1
djb

Default Repairing front mudguard

Hello everyone. First time I've posted a message, but have always found the comments here useful, so here goes.

This morning, riding into work, come round a corner into a narrow street to be faced with the back of a white transit van. No reverse light on. I come to a halt. His reverse light goes on, and, oh dear, the back of the transit van is now heading towards my SV. Beeping, shouting and pushing back with my legs didn't avoid there being a crunch, but fortunately they did avert a major disaster.

So, I'm now wondering what the best way is to fix a cracked front mudguard...glue and respray? If so, which glue to use, where do you get the touch-up paint and how do you get a good finish? Or is it just easier to fork out for a second hand one?

(Oh, and don't worry, I got him to cough up some cash to cover the costs.)
Old 29-08-06, 12:26 PM   #2
BILLY

Which bike Curvey or Pointy I'v'e got a black one for a Curvey in the for sale section!!!! http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=43753

curvey 1999-2002
pointy 2003 onwards
Old 29-08-06, 12:34 PM   #3
djb

Sorry...curvey but blue. Thanks though.
Old 29-08-06, 07:27 PM   #4
andyaikido

Err... get white van man to pay for a brand new one. Or even try to tap him up for a carbon fibre one with vents.

(i know i am a tart )
Old 29-08-06, 07:38 PM   #5
svrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyaikido
Err... get white van man to pay for a brand new one. Or even try to tap him up for a carbon fibre one with vents.

(i know i am a tart )
or.. " oh no, you've bent my forks too, now i'll have to get a gixer front end"
Old 29-08-06, 09:27 PM   #6
stewart-250

I've repaired a split front mudguard on my Triumph Trophy twice now after rather stupidly forgetting about my disk lock .(significant other has an SV, in case you're wondering why I'm on here, oh and I now have a disk lock reminder cable)
I used a fiberglass kit from halfords and it made a reasonable job. I held the split together on the painted side with duck tape and then used the mat and resin on the underside to hold it all together after roughing up the surface with very coarse emery paper. If you're careful with the tape you only see a small thin line once you're finished. If that bothers you then you'd need to get the mudguard resprayed. If it doesn't bother you then it's a nice cheap and quick repair. If appearance really doesn't bother you then you could always stop after applying the duck tape .

cheers

Stewart
Old 30-08-06, 11:06 AM   #7
djb

Keeping the bike standard - so no Gixxer front ends for me. Also need it to look tip top, so maybe getting mint second hand one better than repair. Apart from looking in the For Sale section here, and posting my request on the Wanted, anyone know a good breakers network I can put my request on?
Old 30-08-06, 11:19 AM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

Have phoned http://www.partfinderuk.co.uk/ in the past and found it helpful.