SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-02-07, 08:09 AM   #1
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Warning......Football Thread

As neutrals, Pete and I settled down to watch the Carling Cup Final yesterday, hoping to see a great, well-fought game.

Well, we will certainly remember the game, but for all the wrong reasons. The injury to John Terry was sickening to witness, but a total accident. The brawl in the final few minutes, though, was a disgrace. When you consider how many youngsters idolise these players, surely they have a responsibility to behave in a decent, sportsmanlike manner? Yes, passions run high I'm sure, but there is no excuse for the kind of behaviour we witnessed yesterday.

So who, or what, do you consider is to blame for this type of unacceptable behaviour? Do you believe, as I do, that the blame rests solely with the club managers? If they continue to make excuses for bad behaviour, and claim not to 'see' incidents, doesn't that just give the message to the players that anything goes?

Discuss

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-07, 08:34 AM   #2
skint

Default Re: Warning......Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
As neutrals, Pete and I settled down to watch the Carling Cup Final yesterday, hoping to see a great, well-fought game.

Well, we will certainly remember the game, but for all the wrong reasons. The injury to John Terry was sickening to witness, but a total accident. The brawl in the final few minutes, though, was a disgrace. When you consider how many youngsters idolise these players, surely they have a responsibility to behave in a decent, sportsmanlike manner? Yes, passions run high I'm sure, but there is no excuse for the kind of behaviour we witnessed yesterday.

So who, or what, do you consider is to blame for this type of unacceptable behaviour? Do you believe, as I do, that the blame rests solely with the club managers? If they continue to make excuses for bad behaviour, and claim not to 'see' incidents, doesn't that just give the message to the players that anything goes?

Discuss
I was given a tour at Chelsea (wash my mouth out) once. The players changing rooms... air conditioned and parfumed shoe lockers!! Shower soap about the same cost as my monthly mortgage payments. It was a communial shower (mm?) but a very posh one! Similar experience at Derby except they had a row baths as well (though apparently no one uses them anymore - all scared of catching something!! )

Far too much money and all prima donna wotsits. We've all read about their houses and cars etc. Players idolised so are never really disciplined for behaviour in fear of not having any particular player on the field. They seem to have the equivalent of diplomatic immunity! Now in my day...
Old 26-02-07, 03:26 PM   #3
carty

I watched the last 10 mins or so (well, last 20 by the time they'd had extra time!) so I pretty much only saw Chelsea's second goal and the brawl.

I think the Arsenal player who was originally brought down had every right to be upset because he was pulled back on a good run forward when his team were losing with not much time left. It appeared to me that Fabregas then fuelled the fire by getting involved and starting the brawl. There is no real excuse for the behaviour, I believe it just to be a case of high tensions. Had the challenge happened ten minutes in to the game at 0-0 it probably would have passed without incident.

I don't think that it has anything to do with how much the players get paid. They only get paid so much because of advertising, merchandising and ticket prices. If no-one wanted to watch football they would not get paid half as much but because they provide entertainment they get paid lots. In fact, unfortunately, the brawl probably made the game 'more entertaining'.

Obviously it does not set a good example to young players of how to play the game but no-one really swung any punches, it was only pushing around. I have always played team sports and a fair few times I have seen people get more aggressive than that on the pitch - to be honest the players yesterday didn't do that much did they??

I may sound a bit contradictory, I don't condone 'fighting' on the pitch but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't that bad - you can see a lot worse at pub kicking out time!

On a good note apparently JT is totally fine and celebrated with Chelsea last night.

(By the way I don't like Chelsea at all and would liked to have seen Arsenal win it!)

Just my thoughts!
Old 26-02-07, 04:56 PM   #4
Nutkins

Having studied the pictures of John Terry's "I'm-completely-out-of-it" blank stare and dribbling, I for one was glad to seem him back to his old self.
Old 26-02-07, 05:28 PM   #5
richard_1069

Great to see J.Terry was ok, mind you if he'd worn his crash helmet he would of been ok
Old 26-02-07, 05:36 PM   #6
Jelster

Lissa,

While there is no excuse for what happened in the last 5 minutes or so, and as an Arsenal fan I will not comment, as I'm bound to be biased, but it strikes me that you only watched the end, because for about 80 minutes (give or take the JT incident) you seem to have missed a thoroughly good football match !!

The Arsenal under 21's played their little socks off against a full (and first class) Chelsea team.

What happened at the end was deplorable, but the football before was just what cup finals were made for....

Old 31-10-07, 11:10 AM   #7
hovis

just seen a load of my mates (with bags full of beer) leaving to watch the mighty CARDIFF CITY knock liverpool out of the cup
Old 31-10-07, 09:54 PM   #8
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
just seen a load of my mates (with bags full of beer) leaving to watch the mighty CARDIFF CITY knock liverpool out of the cup

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-07, 10:56 PM   #9
hovis

?
Old 31-10-07, 11:07 PM   #10
Law

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Quote:
?
If you don't want to know the score look away now.

Liverpool 2-1 Cardiff

I'm happy with the result for the best North London team tonight.

High lights on now on ITV1