SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-06-07, 01:58 PM   #1
kwak zzr

Default a day off for me tomorrow

seriously guys/gals dont post mail tonight or tomorrow it will just sit in a mail box and go nowhere and it will get more change of getting set fire to or someone putting their Friday night curry in there.
Old 28-06-07, 02:03 PM   #2
keithd

Default Re: a day off for me tomorrow

im off tomorrow afternoon, are we supposed to be doing something together? i forget...
Old 28-06-07, 02:13 PM   #3
Ed

Disgraceful. Mail workers are going on strike supposedly to preserve their jobs. Huge inconvenience to the public, and no benefit to postal workers - going on strike will simply hasten the redundancies. Look what happened to the miners. How is the rest of the world supposed to do business with letters sat in letter boxes? I don't suppose that the strike leaders really care.
Old 28-06-07, 02:30 PM   #4
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed (alias Maggie Thatcher) View Post
Huge inconvenience to the public, and no benefit to postal workers - going on strike will simply hasten the redundancies. Look what happened to the miners. How is the rest of the world supposed to do business with letters sat in letter boxes? I don't suppose that the strike leaders really care.
But yes, I have to agree.....

Old 28-06-07, 02:32 PM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I have never understood the logic in going on strike 'to save jobs' - if a company is in financial straits or losing out to the opposition, how is striking going to help that situation? If the company goes under, ALL the jobs go.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-07, 03:10 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Disgraceful. Mail workers are going on strike supposedly to preserve their jobs. Huge inconvenience to the public, and no benefit to postal workers - going on strike will simply hasten the redundancies. Look what happened to the miners. How is the rest of the world supposed to do business with letters sat in letter boxes? I don't suppose that the strike leaders really care.
OMG, what will we do without the postal service for a few days. Oh hang on, we'll just send emails instead!

lol. I know that isnt the answer for some industries but Ed do they not do DX over you way, or is that still relaint on the postal service to a large extent???
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-07, 03:25 PM   #7
eviltwin

It might do well to remember that people do not go on strike for the fun of it - remember strike means no pay. If the reference to the miners is in relation to the 84 action, remember workers were on strike for a whole year, eating in soup kitches and relying on hand outs, watching their communities be destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
How is the rest of the world supposed to do business with letters sat in letter boxes? I don't suppose that the strike leaders really care.
Precisely the point of a strike.

As I understand it, Kwak might be able to say, there wouldn't be strike leaders - the CWU is presumably carrying out the will of its (privately) balloted members
Old 28-06-07, 03:54 PM   #8
maff

i know a lot of posties where i live and iv been told that royal mail have discovered a hole in the pension pot and need to top it up. apparently they have been asked to do households and work overtime for free so they can put the money back in.

...everybody out!
Old 28-06-07, 03:59 PM   #9
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppy! View Post
i know a lot of posties where i live and iv been told that royal mail have discovered a hole in the pension pot and need to top it up. apparently they have been asked to do households and work overtime for free so they can put the money back in.

...everybody out!
this is correct, the hole in the pension fund was due to royal mail dipping into it and not putting it back.
Old 28-06-07, 04:01 PM   #10
kwak zzr

they also want to cut basic pay by 25% they say we are all overpaid,
just yesterday the managers in out office all got bonuses ranging from 1.7k to 20k each, how about that for a business making no money.