SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-02-08, 11:06 AM   #1
Pedro68

Default Being sent to Coventry!

No - not figuratively speaking - quite literally - I have a job interview there at 4pm TODAY!

So this is just a quick thread for those that live in, or know, the area.

What I'm initially after is a little traffic information.

Ok, so interview is at 4pm at the Binley Business Park (CV3 2SU)

Anyone know what the traffic is like round there? whats it like for getting to of a morning and coming out of an evening?

Also, if anyone has any advice on B&Bs, digs, etc in the area, then shout now please

Ta!
Pete
Old 07-02-08, 11:13 AM   #2
K

Default Re: Being sent to Coventry!

All I know of Coventry is that it was once a beautiful city... that got redecorated thanks to the Luftwaffe and now is, quite literally, a concrete jungle. Ugliest town evvveeerrrr.

That said the remains of the cathedral are really nice, even if the odd dumb blonde American tourist then says that it would be nicer if they'd have built it with roof.
Old 07-02-08, 11:20 AM   #3
Pedro68

Thanks K ... but I don't plan on doing any sight-seeing whilst I'm there By the sounds of it, there just isn't any! Oh, except for maybe those dumb blonde American tourists
Old 07-02-08, 11:26 AM   #4
blue curvy jester

Nobody Talk To Him!
Old 07-02-08, 11:28 AM   #5
K

Ooooh - actually I may know something remotely useful to you... watch the speed limits - they have gatsos all over the place, espescially on the ring road and the speed limit there is not your usual 60 but often has long sections that are 50 or 40 for no obvious reason (like built up housing or something).

I've only ever gone there to visit friends and so has be evening traffic - which wasn't too bad. Getting on and off the inner ring road can be confusing/life-threatening, as can the centre of town.
Old 07-02-08, 11:31 AM   #6
Warthog

If you are coming to and going back to Liverpool, I can't really see how you have many options, coming down off the M6? I went to Warwick uni for 3 years, so all I can say is, don't go to Coventry. HTH
Old 07-02-08, 11:44 AM   #7
Pedro68

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue curvy jester View Post
Nobody Talk To Him!
Someone had to say it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
If you are coming to and going back to Liverpool, I can't really see how you have many options, coming down off the M6? I went to Warwick uni for 3 years, so all I can say is, don't go to Coventry. HTH
Yeah, looks like best way in is M6/A46 ... don't know much about that neck o the woods as I'm usually just flying past there on way to/from London.
Looking on the bright side - it's only a 3 month contract, so it's not like I'll be Terry Waite or John McCarthy stuck in some hell-hole (unless someone knows what the B&B's are like in the area )

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
remotely useful stuff
Thanks K ... I don't plan on venturing anywhere near the ringroad, but will keep an eye out for cameras n the like (particularly as I'll be )
Old 07-02-08, 11:47 AM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

The coventry part of the M6 southbound is hell of a morning. Don't be anywhere near junctions 4 -2 between 7am and 9:30am. Pay £4.50 on the toll to get to the jam quicker
Old 07-02-08, 11:50 AM   #9
Pedro68

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
The coventry part of the M6 southbound is hell of a morning. Don't be anywhere near junctions 4 -2 between 7am and 9:30am. Pay £4.50 on the toll to get to the jam quicker
That's another vote for the "staying over" in some local dive of a B&B then Cheers Tim

?4.50?! has it gone up?? Last time I used the M6 Toll it was "only" ?3.50

EDIT: Grrrr ... what's going on with the bloody GBP symbol??