SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-10, 11:47 AM   #1
Sv-Rat

Smile Is there a rear shock u can bolt on with out too many mods for a K1 K2 650S

Hi there

Ive been looking to upgrade my rear shock as it has finally knackered, i was wondering if there was any rear shocks i can do a straight swap that is going to be better than the one i have.

ive been reading threads and some say use a GSXR Srad 600 / 750 but is there any extra mods i have to do to get it on.

any info about this would be very helpful. cheers
Old 24-06-10, 01:17 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Is there a rear shock u can bolt on with out too many mods for a K1 K2 650S

Depends how much you weigh, the SRAD shock is a nice length but very soft. The ZX6R shock is a little better spring rate but quite short.

For either you need to modify the battery box and/or cut the rear of the tank hinge away.
Old 24-06-10, 01:34 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Is there a rear shock u can bolt on with out too many mods for a K1 K2 650S

Hagon. Whip old one out, put new one in. Adjust for your weight bish bash bosh,.

No need to modify anything.But it'll cost you £250. The others that you need more playing with are cheaper, but you have to bodgtastic battery box, and mess about with more.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 24-06-10 at 01:36 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 01:39 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Hagon. Whip old one out, put new one in. Adjust for your weight bish bash bosh,.

No need to modify anything.But it'll cost you £250. The others that you need more playing with are cheaper, but you have to bodgtastic battery box, and mess about with more.
Has gone up
£295 now.

If I was looking at that side of market I would look for penske 8900E as they are same sort of idea as the hagon but upgradeable to a pukka double or triple clicker at a later date.
Old 24-06-10, 01:43 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

OO cheeky buggers!

Aren't Penske double the price of Hagon though Chris??

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 01:48 PM   #6
toby_smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Has gone up
£295 now.

If I was looking at that side of market I would look for penske 8900E as they are same sort of idea as the hagon but upgradeable to a pukka double or triple clicker at a later date.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 24-06-10, 01:52 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Don't worry chap, your name is on yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
OO cheeky buggers!

Aren't Penske double the price of Hagon though Chris??
To buy they are more money. Not double though, for a "comparable" item. Especially as if you buy from a decent place you get a shock which is built to suit your weight, rather than a "one size fits none" item.
(Edit: £470 inc VAT for 8900E, so yes a fair amount more)

However the fact that they are easily rebuilt to transfer to another bike, and upgradeable to full racing spec does offset the cost somewhat. They also hold their value very well.

Depends what you want from it

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 24-06-10 at 02:01 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 02:04 PM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Depends how much you weigh, the SRAD shock is a nice length but very soft. The ZX6R shock is a little better spring rate but quite short.

For either you need to modify the battery box and/or cut the rear of the tank hinge away.
I have a C model ZX6R shock (06-ish) to fit to my SV. Lengthwise it's within a mm or so of the OE item, spring rate's a little stiffer apparently.

Whether it's anything like a match for the bike in terms of stroke or damping I can't comment, as I've not fitted it yet.

Jambo
Old 24-06-10, 02:06 PM   #9
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

There was an Elka shock on ebay recently, but the seller withdrew it. Think it's still available but dunno how much he wanted (he just wanted a decent offer I think).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-SV650-2...item4150133e01

Last edited by Nobbylad; 24-06-10 at 02:09 PM.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-10, 02:08 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I have a C model ZX6R shock (06-ish) to fit to my SV. Lengthwise it's within a mm or so of the OE item, spring rate's a little stiffer apparently.

Whether it's anything like a match for the bike in terms of stroke or damping I can't comment, as I've not fitted it yet.

Jambo
Couple of mm shorter, which is unfortunate as the rest of it seemed to work fairly well.

Only problem I found was lots of squat because it is short.