SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-05-22, 10:43 AM   #10651
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post

Luckily my fitter isn't too far away so I cycled along with the wheel. Found a good way to carry it!
whos a clever boy then. bet loads of folk were pizzing themselves laughing when they seen you.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-22, 10:50 AM   #10652
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Stuff, including the understanding that if you are poor, you have pretty limited choices, and a singular lack of control over your own destiny.

Apologies for the early morning, philosophical angst. It's just particularly relevant for me currently.
its not a nice situation to be in but the poor will and always be the brunt for the rich. countries have tried to change things like the French and Russians to name a few but it has never worked out. money talks.

we cant blame the government for people being greedy. the more the government gives in subsidies the more big business want a slice so the more the cost of living goes up. the more the government charge the rich the more the rich raise the price of things. people talk about equality but when it comes to money most people think that the high earners should pay more into the system.. thats not fair.
Old 27-05-22, 12:00 PM   #10653
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
when it comes to money most people think that the high earners should pay more into the system.. thats not fair.
Most people simply ask that high earners pay their share of taxation, rather than being able to avoid it using clever schemes, and only grudgingly deciding coughing up when it wouldn't look good for them or their families. Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr & Mrs Sunak.

For high earners, paying the correct amount of tax for where they actually live and work is a choice. That choice simply isn't available for the majority of working people, unless you don't mind porridge for breakfast for a couple of years.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-22, 12:11 PM   #10654
shiftin_gear98

Darren, I love how you did a close up of the screw, like we might have missed it in the first shot.
Old 27-05-22, 12:59 PM   #10655
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Most people simply ask that high earners pay their share of taxation, rather than being able to avoid it using clever schemes, and only grudgingly deciding coughing up when it wouldn't look good for them or their families. Yes, I'm looking at you, Mr & Mrs Sunak.

For high earners, paying the correct amount of tax for where they actually live and work is a choice. That choice simply isn't available for the majority of working people, unless you don't mind porridge for breakfast for a couple of years.
yes but why should they pay double over a threshold. if they were taxed at the same rate as everyone else then by definition they already pay more. after all they dont get double the services or take out the system with things like working tax credits etc.etc.

not everyone sits on their fat corporate arzes and watches the £'s roll in. some people actually work their arzes off and get robbed for doing so. for instance a joiner earning £70k is going to have to charge more to cover the added tax taken so it starts a chain reaction. never mind the rising costs of living expenses. the high tax is now affecting the average man in the street working his fingers to the bone to support his family and what does he get in return........ a lifestyle that HE/SHE has worked hard for.

maybe just maybe if the taxation system in this country was redone to be fair on EVERYONE things might be a bit better.
Old 27-05-22, 01:19 PM   #10656
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I get what Bibs is saying. A flat rate of tax for all would be fairer, but would be seen as a hand out to the rich. I've believed for years that NI and Income Tax should be rolled into a single tax, which should be paid by all at the same rate.

The problem with income taxes is they are entirely optional for the rich - most have no income per se. Folks like Bezos, Musk and various lord/lady this or that get cash by borrowing against the value of their shares or other assets. This is not income so it goes un-taxed. The corporations generating that value do not have their profits taxed due to various treaties drawn up the the powerful (and therefore rich) elite. So those that can most afford to pay, basically don't have to!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-22, 02:12 PM   #10657
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
I get what Bibs is saying. A flat rate of tax for all would be fairer, but would be seen as a hand out to the rich. I've believed for years that NI and Income Tax should be rolled into a single tax, which should be paid by all at the same rate.

The problem with income taxes is they are entirely optional for the rich - most have no income per se. Folks like Bezos, Musk and various lord/lady this or that get cash by borrowing against the value of their shares or other assets. This is not income so it goes un-taxed. The corporations generating that value do not have their profits taxed due to various treaties drawn up the the powerful (and therefore rich) elite. So those that can most afford to pay, basically don't have to!
this is why the taxation system in this country needs to be rewritten. something like Point Of Purchase set at around 70-80% on everything at the till. which goes directly (electronically) to the gov (basically if it comes out your bank you pay the POP except for such things as mortgages). if you dont spend or stay in the country then you dont get taxed. anyone caught cheating the system goes directly to jail for a minimum of 20 years and all their assets taken.

you may say 70-80% is a bit steep but when you actually look at what you currently give in tax, ni, vat, duty etc.etc it actually works out better. you would receive 100% of your wages but ANYTHING you buy, you pay 70% with no returns like for instance business vat and such like. put a freeze on house prices or only allow 1% per year of purchase price rise. a home should not be a commodity but a necessity.
Old 27-05-22, 03:24 PM   #10658
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
whos a clever boy then. bet loads of folk were pizzing themselves laughing when they seen you.
I did get some funny looks. But who cares. I got the job done and got my bike back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Darren, I love how you did a close up of the screw, like we might have missed it in the first shot.
Just to give an idea of the length
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-22, 03:49 PM   #10659
redtrummy

What has been happening is the rich have been getting richer and the poor poorer. That is just plain wrong.
At my local Folk club they have been food collecting for the local YMCA , that, in a civilised society is just disgusting. If joiners can earn 70K something has changed radically from when I was on the fringe of the building trade.
On the other topic I fetched a new television on the SV, paid for it and then realised they come in a big box! Luckily I had a good supply of straps with me and managed to strap it all onto my back - it was about an 18 mile journey back home, through the City. - not to be repeated. It was only a 15 inch model thank goodness.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-22, 04:40 PM   #10660
Seeker
Mega Poster

At least they're not trying to hide their corruption* anymore:
https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...-sack-12622599

I suppose since they weren't following the code anyway, nothing has changed.

*"Most corrupt government since WWII" (Sussex University) https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2002869.html
https://www.sussex.ac.uk/research/ce...of-corruption/