SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-07-21, 09:42 PM   #1051
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The running thread.

It's all about getting back into the habit really I suppose. Something I'm just starting to do again.

Nice little 3.1 mile run with a friend this evening. Still pretty warm even at 7.30 mind. Both Mabel and my friend's husky, Max were a bit warm by the time we finished, I think if it had been any warmer we may have had to walk it for the dogs' sake.

Got another 4 mile run planned for Saturday morning.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 11:13 AM   #1052
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Exactly that, I’m trying to build good habits and sack off the bad ones.
Did another 4K yesterday along with a new harder gym routine and 5k on an exercise bike

The running should get easier as I shift the extra weight though
Old 03-07-21, 01:32 PM   #1053
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Seems like we're all starting to find our running mojos again!

Out again this morning once the rain stopped for a while. A run of 5.17 miles on fields, footpaths and backlanes. Pace was down a bit on the last couple of runs, partly caused by having to walk, rather than run through a field full of very nosy cows. Mabel wasn't best pleased at them getting that close!
Old 03-07-21, 09:27 PM   #1054
daktulos

I've had a long-term problem with my ankle - for the last five years or so. Last year, I "officially retired" from running, meaning that I haven't booked into any races and set no targets for training, etc. but carried on running when I felt like it. It's worked, and I've been running pretty well recently - my ankle occasionally gripes, but nothing that's stopped me.

When I decided to "retire" I also decided to take up something else - I picked climbing (indoor) as I thought it would complement the running well, would let me work on my upper body strength (which needs it) and I was hoping would help on the strength through my big toe on the foot with the dodgy ankle.

Of course, lock-down(s) meant that didn't happen, but I've started climbing this year. On Wednesday, I fell from the top of a boulder problem and hit my bad ankle on a hold on the way down, resulting in a swollen ankle and having to abandon my only run of the week.

Still, no regrets - I'm really enjoying climbing. It's quite different, and (when not falling) very low impact. I'll get back to running next weekend.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 06:36 AM   #1055
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Ouch! Whacking an already tender ankle like that sounds bloody painful. Hope it sorts itself out. Have you tried a compression sleeve on it when you're running?
Old 04-07-21, 08:41 AM   #1056
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Ouch! Whacking an already tender ankle like that sounds bloody painful. Hope it sorts itself out. Have you tried a compression sleeve on it when you're running?
Thanks. I've tried taping it up and using compression supports in the past, which have helped, but never really got on with them, and I don't really believe in long-term. (Apart from the current injury) I'm happy to run on it if I can, hopefully strengthening it in the process.
Old 04-07-21, 12:35 PM   #1057
garynortheast
Mega Poster

My only other suggestion then would be to try and avoid running on tarmac if at all possible. Trails and softer surfaces tend to be kinder on the joints.
Old 05-07-21, 02:46 PM   #1058
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
My only other suggestion then would be to try and avoid running on tarmac if at all possible. Trails and softer surfaces tend to be kinder on the joints.
If I lived in Wales, Id never run anything other than trails I try and mix it up, and not do too many miles on tarmac, but sometimes I just need to get to the trail.

We actually live right by the Alban Way which is an old railway line that takes us right out of the city, but it was paved a few years ago for the benefit of cyclists.

Cheers.
Old 05-07-21, 07:05 PM   #1059
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
If I lived in Wales, Id never run anything other than trails I try and mix it up, and not do too many miles on tarmac, but sometimes I just need to get to the trail.
Even here in Wales I have to run on some tarmac to connect up different trails and footpaths. I try and keep those sections as short as possible though as I can really feel the pounding those hard surfaces are giving my knees!
Old 07-07-21, 08:34 PM   #1060
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Cracking 4.35 mile run out this evening with a friend and our hounds. Lots of woodland trails around the grounds of Gregynog Hall, with plenty of ups and downs to make us work.