SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-09, 05:34 PM   #1
dmracing

Default Problem, need help as usual!!

Right, during my soaking wet ride home the bike (SVS K5) started to coff and splutter. For the rest of the journey it seemed like it was only running on one cylinder. My guess is that the front spark plug is wet, but I am no expert so if anyone knows what is going one, here is my problem...
  • It started to coff and splutter after about 20 minutes of city riding in the rain.
  • To keep it running I had to hold the throttle open and slip the clutch at slow speed.
  • On the motorway, the bike seemed to feel just like a car that was trying to go up a hill in a way to high gear
  • On slow roads leading to my house it kept on jolting back to normal for a split second.
  • It made it home and was ticking over below the 1,000rpm mark sounding very lumpy.
Please help me point out the problem and find a solution.

Cheers guys!!!
Old 17-04-09, 05:36 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Problem, need help as usual!!

First thing I'd do would be to remove the front spark plug and dry it out, I suspect thats what your problem is and if its not well you've eliminated one possibility anyway...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-09, 05:42 PM   #3
JamesMio
Mega Poster

+1 with the Fizzmeister, that sounds very much like the soggy front plug syndrome. Get the plug out, dry it out & stick a splodge of silicon grease around the plug cover to keep it dry in future. We've all had this at one point I think!

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-09, 05:46 PM   #4
2hys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
First thing I'd do would be to remove the front spark plug and dry it out, I suspect thats what your problem is and if its not well you've eliminated one possibility anyway...
then get yourself a fender extender worth the money, ive never had a problem with wet plugs and i do alot of wet riding
Old 17-04-09, 05:50 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

to save a bit of time, first thing I'd do is get a bit if stiff wire and clear the front cylinder drain hole, if by doing that water comes out, then it'll show you that's the problem, takes all of a minute or so, and you don't need anything except the afore mentioned bit of wire.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-09, 05:51 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
to save a bit of time, first thing I'd do is get a bit if stiff wire and clear the front cylinder drain hole,
If you cant find a bit of wire, then the little red tube that comes with a tin of WD40 works quite well on the drain hole as well.

Old 17-04-09, 06:02 PM   #7
Jamiebridges123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hys View Post
then get yourself a fender extender worth the money, ive never had a problem with wet plugs and i do alot of wet riding
Only around £20 inc postage as well!
Old 17-04-09, 06:05 PM   #8
dmracing

Ok, stupid question, where is the drain hole???
Old 17-04-09, 06:06 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

On the Right hand side of the front cylinder casing. Theres a very small hole and thats what you want to be making sure is clear so that water can drain away along it.