SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-02-13, 11:35 AM   #1
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Default iOS / Bulk Apps install help!?

Background:

I'm a Mac novice (15+ years Windows background), so I'm probably missing something obvious - please bear with me.

We're running latest Mac OS (10.8.2), latest version of Apple Configurator (1.2.1) and latest iOS (6.1) on all iPads & iPhones).

--- --- --- ---

I'm trying to set up a batch of iPhones & iPads for a business. We'll have several with very similar profiles (e.g. Sales Rep1, Sales Rep 2 etc), and it looks like Apple Configurator is the tool do help with this.

First up - is there a basic user guide for this? That tells me what I can and can't actually expect to be able to do with the Configurator app?

Secondly - I'm led to believe I can use this to bulk install a load of apps (free and/or paid). I can see how to drag the apps into the Configurator, but no matter what I do next, the apps don't install onto the device. I hit apply / prepare / check out, whatever - nothing seems to do it.

So far I'm just playing with it to get my head around how it all works, so the only apps I've been trying this with are free ones (e.g. Adobe Reader / Chrome).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks Org,

James

--- --- --- ---

(Genuine request - please save the Apple bashing for another thread, it's tedious!)

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 01:30 PM   #2
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: iOS / Bulk Apps install help!?

http://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/1.2/

Have you read through this?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 01:43 PM   #3
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

This is quite a good write up from someone doing the same thing and using it for the first time. Includes details of limitations and what certain setting actually mean.
I.e. the advice to pay attention to the Supervised setting in a relation to paid apps.
And the in ability to sync the iPads you configure to any other computer.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Old 08-02-13, 05:01 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

pretty much what Mr Speirs said.
Paid apps is usually by profile, unless you can get mass deployment.

What apps you trying to upload?

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 05:49 PM   #5
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Just realised I forgot to post the link in my second post:

http://mgleeson.edublogs.org/2012/12...t-be-defeated/
Old 09-02-13, 11:24 AM   #6
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Thanks chaps - that first link was a big help, cheers Speirs!

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 04:55 PM   #7
flymo
Mega Poster

re-sell them a set of licences into the Airwatch cloud service, you can fully manage and provision devices through that.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote