SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-23, 11:37 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Fuji nut

This is a Fuji nut:

Yamaha use them on the rear axle of all the 700s (MT-07/XSR700/R7 etc) and possibly the MT-09 range too.

It acts like a Nyloc nut by way of that thin plate you can see at the top of the nut in the picture. I don't know why they use it although it is half the size of the axle nut on the SV and doesn't require any external locking but the SV has a plain nut and it isn't locked at all. Torque on both bikes are approximately the same at 105Nm (give or take).

There is a problem. The nut is supposed to be reusable and it is - providing the nut hasn't been seated for a while and/or the thin metal plate hasn't got dirty, then it gets interesting because it unscrews about 2 turns and then seizes. If you keep turning it carefully mangles the thread on the axle which is £70 (Fowlers say it has to be ordered from Japan).

I read about this soon after buying my XSR so I replaced it with a nut from Pro-Bolt but my friend with an MT-07 wasn't so lucky and needed a replacement axle when he replaced his chain (but found one at a breakers yard - £25). He's now bought a nut from Pro-Bolt too.

The nut sits in a recess/chain alignment guide so you can't cut off a bad nut before it destroys your axle.

Not one of Yamaha's better ideas imho.
Old 02-06-23, 11:53 AM   #2
Kenzie

Default Re: Fuji nut

That seems crazy. So the nut on the SV is reusable? What's to stop it backing off?

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 12:49 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

From the look of the axle nut on the Gen 3 bikes, it has a similar little locking plate but I've had the wheel out quite a few times with no issues ...
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-23, 08:12 PM   #4
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
... but the SV has a plain nut and it isn't locked at all. ...
I'm not sure this is universally correct.

Out of interest, I took a closer look at our bikes at the weekend (Wife's Pointy SK5 and son's recently acquired Curvy '99 X), and both have a nut like this on the rear swingarm.

Maybe your previous SV had the standard nut swapped for a plain nut? I'm not sure something with no anti-loosening component is a wise idea in the relatively high-criticality environment of rear wheel axle.

FWIW, my 1987 Yamaha FZ600 uses a castle nut and split pin, so perhaps this type of nut is a 'modern' phenomena that many manufacturers are moving to?

(Having said that, I'll be bearing your story in mind and making sure to clean thoroughly before loosening for wheel removal, though I don't recall ever having had a problem in the past. Hopefully minor slackening for routine chain adjustment will remain trouble free.)
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-23, 08:43 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

I looked at my SV rear axle more closely, it isn't a plain nut but neither is it a Fuji nut. I bought the bike new in 2016 and have had the axle out a few times with no issues. I haven't read about anyone having issues here or on the US forum, whereas you can find people with the issue on the XSR and MT-07/FZ-07 forums.
(Google fz07 axle seized)