SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-05-23, 01:22 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Seriously worrying....

These are the actions of a state sliding into authoritarianism. Very worrying.

The "lock on devices" claimed by the police to have been found were in fact straps for the large placards.

The police also erected a large screen in front of the protestors so that Charlie Windsor and his missus couldn't see them.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nation-protest
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 02:38 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Seriously worrying....

It's an outrage that a billionaire monarch who claims to be interested in charitable causes is taking hundreds of millions of public money to fund an outdated, ostentatious ceremony. Britain's biggest benefits scroungers.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-23, 06:15 PM   #3
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
These are the actions of a state sliding into authoritarianism. Very worrying.

The "lock on devices" claimed by the police to have been found were in fact straps for the large placards.

The police also erected a large screen in front of the protestors so that Charlie Windsor and his missus couldn't see them.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nation-protest
The Met were clearly under orders from the home secretary. They're supposed to upload the law not follow orders from the government. Seriously worrying.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-23, 04:12 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm going to play devils advocate again.. how about the actions of the few spoiling it for the many.

the police were only dong their job. better to be safe than sorry as activists of any kind can get a bit out of hand.

its only the poor who moan about the rich when in fact the rich pay a lot more into society and take less out.

the royal household is only rich due to assets, its not their fault they inherited what they did, like it or not.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-23, 08:31 PM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Another "advocate" here.

The pomp and ceremony is an investment. A large majority of people enjoy it, even if they publicly say otherwise because they think it's right on to claim otherwise. I didn't watch it all live but watched the very good commentry-free coverage of the ceremony and military procession afterwards on iPlayer, which will be watched all over the world. It was stirring and nationalist, yes, and so it should be. We do this sort of thing very well and people from other countries may never admit it but they love it too. It encourages them to come here as tourists to see it for themselves and they bring millions of Pounds into our economy each year which benefits all of us.

You don't get to choose which life you get born into but most of our Royal Family do far more good for UK PLC than most of us realise. Would I personally change that? Not a chance! Even the YouTube videos I found this evening of the military bands playing as they marched their respective regiments back over Westminster Bridge on their way back to Waterloo Station to go back to barracks was great to see. There were no crowds cheering them but they did it anyway.

Do I want to see a small number of people ruin that? No. They have every right to air their opinion and I'll defend that right as much as I defend the Monarchy, but they should not have carte blanche to wreck a day many millions will enjoy and cherish. The rights of the petulant few do not count more than the majority.
Old 08-05-23, 09:58 PM   #6
garynortheast
Mega Poster

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...9Bmb45wSczSU0I

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b007e3d7da522c
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-23, 07:40 AM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

And what about the few that glue themselves to roads, climb busy bridges, disrupt major sporting events, damage artworks, and so on? Will the powers get abused every now and then? Probably. Will it, on balance though, stop the radical few spoiling things for the majority? Very likely.

If you don't like something you complain, lobby your MP, make your feelings known. If that does not work you vote someone else into power that says they will do something different. We all know it does not often work thanks to politicians promises, from ALL parties, being worthless, but again, the few should not spoil it for the many.
Old 09-05-23, 09:42 AM   #8
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I often think the protesters shoot themselves in the foot. They lose public sympathy when they glue themselves to roads and stop people working, getting to hospital appointments etc.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-23, 10:43 AM   #9
redtrummy

Therre is a limit and a fine line. Legitimate protest has a place in society and should be viewed as such. History shows the suppressed are usually at a disadvantage and lobbying MPs has little effect, too many invested intrests. Sometimes direct action is necessary and a fair society will accomidate it. Otherwise the likes of Russia and other countries are the alternative.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-23, 05:17 PM   #10
mister c
Mega Poster

Why do people feel the need to protest over things that will never get changed? The minority never make a difference. If you want to make a difference, become a politician & try that way.
These people that congregate in numbers to complain about the use of fossil fuels don't walk to the demonstration, they drive, take a train, a bus, or an aeroplane, so they are using the tools that they're complaining about to protest.
I felt sorry for the people standing in front of these idiots on Saturday, they came for a great day out, see some pomp & ceremony & it gets spoilt by *!obheads shouting derogatory remarks all day.
I'm not a royalist, but, the amount of money brought in through tourism far outweighs how much the royal family take out of the country.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote