SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-05, 11:00 AM   #1
Cronos

Default Should I avoid a 'Cat D' listed bike?

I've been looking around for another bike for a wee while now and have come across what strikes me as the perfect bike at a good price.

Low miles, FSH and clean. There is however one concern and that is the bike is listed as 'Cat D'. Now I'm not familiar with what this is and would appreciate an explaination from someone in the know.

I was told by the owner the it was only bodywork damage so is this something I should shy away from. Also is it something that should impact the price / value of the bike?

Your thoughts and words of wisdom are welcome.
Old 05-07-05, 11:02 AM   #2
Carsick

Cat D is superficial damage which is just too expensive to repair. A smashed fairing can make a bike Cat D quite easily.
It certainly affects the price, since the resale value will be lower as well, but so long as the repairs were done properly it's no different to any other crashed bike.
Old 05-07-05, 11:06 AM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
Cat D is superficial damage which is just too expensive to repair. A smashed fairing can make a bike Cat D quite easily.
It certainly affects the price, since the resale value will be lower as well, but so long as the repairs were done properly it's no different to any other crashed bike.
Or indeed, any other non crashed bike.
Old 05-07-05, 11:07 AM   #4
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
I disagree, a crashed bike, even with appropriate repairs is worth less than a non crashed bike in the same condition. The only thing the Cat D does is make it very obvious that the bike was crashed.
Old 05-07-05, 11:11 AM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
Quote:
I disagree, a crashed bike, even with appropriate repairs is worth less than a non crashed bike in the same condition. The only thing the Cat D does is make it very obvious that the bike was crashed.
Yes it's worth less, but mechanicaly speaking, it means nothing.
Old 05-07-05, 11:12 AM   #6
Carsick

Quote:
Yes it's worth less, but mechanicaly speaking, it means nothing.
Agreed.
Old 05-07-05, 11:54 AM   #7
minky

Written-off vehicles

4. At present vehicles written-off by an insurer are subject to a voluntary Code of Practice agreed between the insurance industry and salvage dealers (the Code). Under the terms of the Code, vehicle salvage is classified in various categories, generally depending on the extent of damage. Categories A and B are generally so seriously damaged that they should never be returned to the road. Category C applies where the salvage is repairable but the repair costs exceed the pre-accident value. Category D salvage is repairable though the vehicle is still written-off by the insurer in order to minimise overheads during the repair period, for example

Taken from:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs/vcb3.html

I see no reason to avoid a Cat D, check they have all the relevant paperwork and do a bit of research prior to purchase. I'd check with your current/proposed insurer to make sure it won't affect your premium or any excesses etc too.

Also may be worth a HPI (or similar) check to ensure it is a Cat D and not an A,B,C write-off.

As is always the case, check, check and double check. If you're not 100% happy then walk away and wait for the next bargain
Old 05-07-05, 11:59 AM   #8
Sudoxe

My bike is a CAT D write off.

Basically, it had new leavers one one side to get it back on the road. Sure the fairings scratched and i grabed a set of barends etc, but its all good.

It would of cost the insurer more to keep me on the hire bike and repair my SV, than it would to pay out there and then.

CATD's do not need re-MOTing or a VIC check after they are repaired, as it is supposidly no mechanical damage.

PM me if your after more info.

HTH
Dan
Old 05-07-05, 12:21 PM   #9
minky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe
My bike is a CAT D write off.

you always did have problems keeping upright

How's life treating you post that ISP who shall remain nameless?
Old 05-07-05, 12:43 PM   #10
didge

wots cat d mean is it a type of accsident