SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-05, 02:50 PM   #1
falc

Default Front fork springs

Im going to uprate my springs but anyone know what the difference is between JHS racing progressive springs and the ohlins springs. They are both the same price and JHS have not replied regarding who makes theirs.

Could it be JHS racing also use the ohlins ones?

Failing that im assuming the ohlins would be the better ones.
Old 13-07-05, 02:53 PM   #2
Flamin_Squirrel

Ohlins springs are single rate, so will be different to the progressive springs JHS use. I have Ohlins springs, they seem ok, but I've not used progressive springs so am not in a possition to comment on their relative merrits.
Old 13-07-05, 04:15 PM   #3
Mr Sensible

I used Hagon progressive springs and they're a great improvement over the standard set up. I can't comment on a comparison with uprated single rate springs.

Try Hagon for a price, I found that they were cheaper, included the oil and next day delivery.

Steve
Old 13-07-05, 06:06 PM   #4
Jock

Default question

Is there a generous spring knowledgeable person who will help me understand the difference between progressive springs and single rate springs?
Old 13-07-05, 06:09 PM   #5
MattTheLoony

Default Re: question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock
Is there a generous spring knowledgeable person who will help me understand the difference between progressive springs and single rate springs?
I don't know much about the different makes available but the difference between progressive and single rate is that the more a progressive is compressed the stiffer it will get so poodling around town it's nice and comfortable but when you are really pushing it, it will be stiffer. Single rate, as it says on the tin, do not change their stiffness with compression.
Old 13-07-05, 09:42 PM   #6
Jock

Default I get it

I understand the theory. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what physically about a progressive spring makes it behave differently than a single step spring?
Old 13-07-05, 09:52 PM   #7
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Evening
As Mr Sensible said the Hagon springs are a vast improvement over standard, come with the oil and cannot be beaten on price.
I've been supplying and fitting their springs since they started doing them about 5 or 6 years ago, and have yet to have a customer complain!
Just make sure you ask for their recomended oil, and fill the forks to their recomended level which is written on the end of the box.
Their number is: 020 8502 6222
Old 13-07-05, 10:08 PM   #8
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Re: I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock
I understand the theory. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what physically about a progressive spring makes it behave differently than a single step spring?
On a single rate spring, the coils are evenly spaced. On a progressive spring, they are tightly coiled at one end, progressively getting further appart towards the other.
Old 14-07-05, 07:26 AM   #9
Longshotmojo

With the Hagon spings, do you have to cut the spacer or modify anything? Or is it simply just out with the old springs/oil and in with the new?
Old 14-07-05, 08:18 AM   #10
thor

Having just changed the oil in my forks I can say that it can make a significant improvement on the standard setup with out changing the springs. Hard braking has much less dive and ride is still smooth.