SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-06-07, 11:58 AM   #1
5v5 rider

Default Thanks God for fellow bikers!!

Well, last night on the way home from work I had a blow out on the M40 Westbound on the front tyre - TBH I didnt realise it was a blowout I just knew my steering had locked up completey at *** MPH. I managed to get on to the hard shoulder of the slip road and found the problem. Well within 1 1/2 hours at least 10 bikers must have stopped and asked if they could help (give me lift/lend money for cab etc), one guy who was a courier (thank you whoever you are!) went to give me his can of tyre weld but that exploded as he was getting it from under his seat. He then got a temp puncture repair (glue stick thingy) kit out and bunged up the hole , only problem was that we now had no air to pump the tyre up . The guy then went off to see how far the nearest petty station was but after 15 mins I assumed he had left (fair enough I thought). After about 20 mins another guy pulled up and said he would nip home and get a foot pump and bring it back !! legend!! 10 mins after that 2 guys on bikes turn up!! 1 guys with his foot pump but even more amazing was the courier who plugged the hole had come back after going 10 miles to a halfords and buying me a can of tyre weld!! what a top bloke!! After 10 mins the front tyre was infalted and I limped home in the torrential rain . All in a **** scary incident but my faith in the human race was restored!!

Once again - thanks to all the guys n gals who stopped to check I was alright!

P.P.S - Can anyone recommend a portable air pump that will fit under my seat?
Old 20-06-07, 12:10 PM   #2
John 675

Smile Re: Thanks God for fellow bikers!!

i always stop for bikers who appear to have broken down, i was going abit fast once and shot straight past one guy so doubled back around (about 5 miles) but he was gone. . .

but i hope people would stop for me.
Old 20-06-07, 12:15 PM   #3
5v5 rider

Default Re: Thanks God for fellow bikers!!

Well I've got myself a pucture repair kit from the tyre fitters (feltham tyre centre) so I can help any other stranded biker with a puncture! Also I realised to my delight that the tyre I purchased (which was an Avon st) was still under warranty as it still has more than 2.8 mm of tread left!! So all I had to pay was £25 for the fitting and balancing...quite a bargain I feel.?
Old 20-06-07, 12:22 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Did you get a little air canister with the puncture kit??? that’s a better option than a pump as it is compact I have been told that it takes about 2 to get a decent pressure in them mind
Old 20-06-07, 12:28 PM   #5
5v5 rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Did you get a little air canister with the puncture kit??? that’s a better option than a pump as it is compact I have been told that it takes about 2 to get a decent pressure in them mind
Yeah mate - thats the one I got, paid about £18 for it ( prob over the odds to be fair) but I wont say that when a I need it for myself or another stranded biker !!
Old 20-06-07, 12:29 PM   #6
Ceri JC

People have stopped for me and helped/advised me in the past. It's only right to return the courtesy to others IMO.

Sounds like you got exceptionally lucky with your treatment though!
Old 20-06-07, 12:39 PM   #7
stewie

I broke down a couple of months ago on the way home from work, 4 bikers passed me in the space of about 10 mins not one even nodded, Im obviuosly in the wrong part of the country. Good that you were helped out though.
Old 20-06-07, 01:03 PM   #8
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsoph View Post
P.P.S - Can anyone recommend a portable air pump that will fit under my seat?
Someone once said
Quote:
its badged 'slime' and is sold mail order by some of the distributors (M&P, MPS, etc).
I brought it from FCL in Cranleigh for 30 quid less the club discount.

Here's a link that shows what its like:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/slime_pump.htm
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-07, 02:27 PM   #9
Dave The Rave

That's what I ride bikes. There are some many helpful people all over the place now . Glad to hear you were well looked after mate!
Old 20-06-07, 02:30 PM   #10
Daimo

I try to stop whenever I see a biker stopped. It can be hard on the way home from work though.

I usually give them a beep and a thumbs to see if their ok. Most people have got a phone, so not much without tools I can really do, other than offer a backie to a petrol station.

I've had people come to help me quite often as well. I think bikers look out for each other more and its nice to see its not a fading tradition