SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-09-06, 11:55 AM   #1
tricky

Default Pay your fines !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5377488.stm
Old 26-09-06, 12:11 PM   #2
ArtyLady

That is disgusting - they ought to thoroughly ashamed of themselves
Old 26-09-06, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2ride
That is disgusting - they ought to thoroughly ashamed of themselves
yep another reason why i wont ever let a balif or anyone into my house without the poilice being present.

fortuantly they currently have no reason to even try...
Old 26-09-06, 02:05 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

B'stads. Scary stuff though. Time to read up on what Balliffs can/cant do. It does surprise me though that that the BBC series 'Balliffs' didnt highlight this, and thier researchers didnt look into the legalites of aht they do.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-06, 02:24 PM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

Sadly it doesn't surprise me. What does is the fact the article does not refer to any utility company.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-06, 04:53 PM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

That's just horrific
Old 27-09-06, 07:49 PM   #7
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
B'stads. Scary stuff though. Time to read up on what Balliffs can/cant do. It does surprise me though that that the BBC series 'Balliffs' didnt highlight this, and thier researchers didnt look into the legalites of aht they do.
Let me know what you find as you never know when you might need it.
Old 13-10-06, 10:03 AM   #8
Ceri JC

I think it'd be wise for everyone, even those who think "this'll never happen to me" to be aware of the legalities of this. Look at hovi5's situation in the other thread. I myself was threatened with the bailifs for "non-payment" of a speeding fine. Sickeningly, not only had the fine been paid, but the court had actually taken the fine twice from my account. They called off the bailifs and sent out a check out refnding half the money taken when I rang them up, but had I been away with work for a couple of days and not responded to the letter as promptly as I did, they could have easily barged their way in when my girlfriend was home alone.

As the man says, "legalised thieves".
Old 13-10-06, 10:14 AM   #9
Cronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
I think it'd be wise for everyone, even those who think "this'll never happen to me" to be aware of the legalities of this.
Good point. I had my name and an false debt put on a debt collecters' list due to the ineptitude of Peverel a property (mis-)management company. It took a number of phone calls (at my expense on a fecking 0870 number ) to call them off.
Old 13-10-06, 10:27 AM   #10
Jabba

I've had letters from two debt collection agencies in the last year address to someone who doesn't live here and never has (at least, not in the last 45 years that the family have owned Jabba Towers).

I have included the following paragraphs in my letters to the companies:

"I am unable to speculate as to why you believe that the above named person lives at this address. However, in view of the content of your letter, I hereby request that you confirm the following in writing to me at the above address within 7 calendar days of the date of this letter:

1. There will be no attempt made to seize any assets from this property
2. This address has not, as result of your actions, been placed on “credit blacklists”

Please be advised that should the above assurances not be forthcoming and/or if further correspondence from yourselves addressed to Mr Gallagher is received at this address then I will take legal advice and seek to recover the cost of this from you.

The advice in this letter is true to the best of my knowledge and is given in good faith. Therefore, I remind you that harassment by creditors or their agents is a criminal offence under the Administration of Justice Act 1970."

That last paragraph is why I have never heard from either company since