SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-04-08, 08:39 PM   #1
drag

Default Calipers and pots

Have the front and back calipers off at the mo, easy enough, until i tried to remove the pots from the front two.... they wont budge

And to add insult to injury, trying to open the rear caliper bolts, they wont budge either, i assume they turn anti-clockwise.

Anybody got some or any friendly advise as to how i'm going to remove these pots ?
Old 30-04-08, 08:44 PM   #2
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Default Re: Calipers and pots

See I told you they would be a pain to do didn't I? lol

If you look in tuning and tweaking at the post that i started called rear caliper Sid Squid gives a couple of tips in there for the seized bolts in the rear caliper.
What are you using to try and get the pistons out of the front calipers?
Old 30-04-08, 08:50 PM   #3
drag

Needle nose plyers tis the best i have off hand, and i've been liberal with the wd40 might leave them soaking or some thing over night, the rear caliper bolts are only ment to be torqued to 30nm they feel like 60.

I'll check out the thread you started alright, dont want to break any of the bolts
Old 30-04-08, 08:57 PM   #4
thedonal

I had absolute mares with my rear caliper- destroyed a pair of piston plyers in the process.

I'd suggest popping the caliper back on without the pads, bleeding it through again and pumpling the pots out- chances are the seals are all out of their grooves and may need replacing. Make sure you have a spare pair. That may also go for pad pins too.

If only 1 piston comes out, clean it up, then strap (or g-clamp) it into the caliper, bleed the brake through again and pump the other one out.

Painstaking, I know, but a good incentive to overhaul the brakes at least twice a year! Mine are due a post winter (has winter gone yet?!) spruce up.

And don't forget the red rubber grease- if you haven't got it, order some now!!!
Old 30-04-08, 09:08 PM   #5
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag View Post
Needle nose plyers tis the best i have off hand, and i've been liberal with the wd40 might leave them soaking or some thing over night, the rear caliper bolts are only ment to be torqued to 30nm they feel like 60.

I'll check out the thread you started alright, dont want to break any of the bolts
Mind you don't score the piston with the pliers. It wasn't a broken bolt it was a broken allen key socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonal View Post
I had absolute mares with my rear caliper- destroyed a pair of piston plyers in the process.
Mine didn't fair so well on your front calipers either did they? although i managed to strip a rear caliper with them this afternoon
Old 30-04-08, 09:11 PM   #6
drag

luckily i have a fell set of seals on hand, from the front and back and some red rubber grease, it's just getting them apart that the prob, i'll keep them soaked in Wd40 over night and perhaps in the AM i'll get them open, i've drained the brake fluid from the system already.

broken allen key socket, where did you get those nice bolts from
Old 30-04-08, 09:15 PM   #7
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Standard caliper bolts and a halfords pro allen socket
Old 30-04-08, 09:19 PM   #8
drag

I see, they looked rather shiny, though you replaced them with aluminum bolts... ohh well, back to waiting until the am ..
Old 30-04-08, 09:23 PM   #9
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

the only shiny bits on my rear caliper are the stainless steel bolts that hold the caliper to its hanger and the stainless pad retaining pins
Old 01-05-08, 07:17 AM   #10
petevtwin650

IMO the only way to get the front pistons out is, as already suggested, connecting it back up, or by using compressed air, very lightly and keeping fingers out of the way, to force out the little blighters