SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-11, 02:57 PM   #1
kellyjo

Default Fault diagnosis - help desperately needed pls..

Ok, so having a few sleepless nights last week and finally making the decision to end my 4 year relationship and come to the AR alone Ive had two aborted attempts to get there - yesterday I got to Bradford and the weather was horrendous so I detoured and spent the night with my sister in Darlington, but more importantly Friday Id done 110 miles when he bike cruised to a halt on the M62 and it was home on the RAC truck.

So, after tears, tantrums and much self-pity I now need to try and work out whats going on with my bike and thats where I need your help please.

Its a 98 CBR600F nearing 18k miles. Bought in march and ive since had the following issues -

June - Reg/rec died and boiled my battery so both were replaced although only with cheap replacements.

3 weeks ago - Loss of power when riding and cruised to standstill. Looked in tank and appeared empty. Would start but soon cut out. 30 mins later with more fuel and started fine.

The following day - rode 70 problem-free miles then went to accelerate but no power and bike cruised to halt. Would start but then cut out before I could get it into gear. Left for an hour and a half by which time it started and got home fine.

Thinking that there may be some crap in fuel filter from running low the day before I removed tank, cleaned out fuel tap, checked fuel hoses and replaced fuel filter.

Several problem-free rides over the next week.

Then Friday - Was 110 miles into my journey to the AR, then whilst travelling about 30mph in queue on m62 bike lost power and I managed to get to hard shoulder as it came to a stop. I automatically assumed it was the same fuelling problem as before and replacing fuel filter hadnt rectified it, but when I went to try and start it again there was total loss of power, wouldnt even try and turn over. Neutral light came on but dimmed when i pressed the start button and silence. So I assumed that there must be an electrical fault.
However, by the time we got it back home (5 hours later) it was trying to turn over again, just not quite enough power. So I charged battery overnight.

Yesterday - With battery fully charged the bike started first time but sounded a bit lumpy. Kept rumming as long I kept the throttle open but as soon as I closed it the bike spluttered, revs dropped and it cut out. Did this everytime I started it.

Today - just tried it again, started fine but very lumpy. After a few seconds of spluttering revs drop and cuts out. It seems to want to run but cant.

Sorry for rambling on but I need to sort this myself (no way I can afford for anyone else to sort it ) so have tried to give as much detail as I can.

Im 90% certain it has to be fuelling but dont know where to go from here - crap in the carbs maybe??

Would love to hear your opinions/ suggestions, but sensible ones only please!!

Thanks, a very despondant KJ xx
Old 07-08-11, 04:58 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fault diagnosis - help desperately needed pls..

Dont know about that model but a couple of things spring to mind.There still seems to be an electrical problem as you describe something like a flat battery while out on a long ride,and it being able to start next day after a charge.A multimeter to test that system would be good.Secondly it doesnt run properly either,which could be a follow on from the leccy problem,or might be another issue.Running out of fuel and getting carp in the system is one thing,and could there be lots more carp coming through from a badly corroded inside of the tank?Or could water have got in the fuel?
Having said all that Id check the leccy first.
Old 07-08-11, 05:05 PM   #3
kellyjo

The tank looks absolutely pristine inside and if any water got in it could only have been a couple of drops.

I got a multimeter and checked the battery - 12v off the bike, 12v at idle (when it would idle!) and 12v at 4k rpm. I checked these yesterday, today I cant even get it to idle or run long enough to get it to 4krpm
Old 07-08-11, 05:09 PM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

A fuel filter wont stop all the grunge getting in the carbs.
Clean them out,
"crap in the carbs maybe??" will only clog them lol
Old 07-08-11, 05:11 PM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
The tank looks absolutely pristine inside and if any water got in it could only have been a couple of drops.

I got a multimeter and checked the battery - 12v off the bike, 12v at idle (when it would idle!) and 12v at 4k rpm. I checked these yesterday, today I cant even get it to idle or run long enough to get it to 4krpm
A good battery 13.2 volts when its charging needs to be around 14.7 volts
Old 07-08-11, 05:13 PM   #6
Paul_uk

it definitely sounds electrical to me, at 4krpm shouldn't the multimeter read more than 12v? i'm not an expert and perhaps the battery after a lay off will just have enough charge to turn over. i thought my electrical problems were battery related and tested it, 12.06 off bike same at idle, but steadily climbed to around 13.5-14 v at around 4-5krpm. sorry i don't have a definitive solution for you, i've for sure shared your despondancy the last 5 days with my own electrical problems!! :/
Old 07-08-11, 05:14 PM   #7
SpikeTM

They are very bad for coils breaking up under load which also causes spark plugs to arc out hence how you won't get it to 4k , if you can get a hold of other coils even just to try i'm pretty sure you'll find this is prob your main cause.
Old 07-08-11, 05:57 PM   #8
beabert

As stated, those voltages are way to low! sort that our first.
Old 07-08-11, 07:07 PM   #9
kellyjo

Thanks for your help guys but i think ive solved it and in doing so proved myself to be the biggest numpty in the world!!!

The reason there is no fuel getting through is that my fuel switch was turned to OFF!!!! Now i never ever turn it off so I guess the RAC guy did which explains my fuelling problems since getting it back. I'd checked the kill switch a dozen times but never thought to look at the fuel tap, DOH!! But its ok, I feel suitable embarrassed

Now the bike will run again ive been able to check the voltages and my reg/rec is definitely dead, only one of the three yellow wires gives a reading, the other two show zero. So thats re-inforced an important lesson and this time I wont get a cheap one from China it'll be a genuine Honda part. I really am my own worst enemy.

Thanks again, KJ xx
Old 07-08-11, 07:24 PM   #10
Electro

Great to see the bikes sorted KJ, such a shame to have not made it to the AR, see u next year i guess