SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-07, 04:16 PM   #1
Viney
Mega Poster

Default The beast of Surrey

Once upon a time there was an intrepid type that went by the name of Viney. He was a tall chap of a larger stature. Always inquisitive, and well knowledgeable on the wildlife of his surrounding area. He had heard that there had been sightings of something large, fast and black stalking Surrey and the surrounding areas. Always intrigued, he decided to go and investigate. He mounted his trusty steed and heeded off in a westerly direction to its reported last sighting; somewhere near Sanderstead in Surrey. Having a pretty good idea where it was last seen, he headed for that exact spot. Low and behold, and as sure as eggs are eggs, there it was. Hiding just outside a station car park, nestled amongst a variety of other species. It sure was big, and black, as the reports had said, but it looked cute whilst it was there sleeping. Aware of his steeds noisy entrance, he rolled past it and parked away from it, as not to stir this incredible beast. Behind the beast was what looked like a den. A den of what looked like its siblings, and relatives. I ventured inside to find one of their keepers interested in my interest in the black beast that lie dormant outside. I asked if it was possible to wake the beast up, and maybe have a play with it for a while. To my astonishment the keeper said that this would be fine, and much as it looks cute and scary in the same light, it’s really a pussy cat, but a fast agile one at that. A grin appeared across my face. With the appropriate disclaimers and insurance forms filled in, it was time to wake the beast. The beast that was....

A 2007 Triumph Tiger! I slotted the key onto the ignition, pulled the clutch in and fired up its Speed Triple derived 1050, 3 cylinder engine. It fired instantly and settled into its cold start, choke enhanced idle. I slipped on my gloves and mounted the Tiger. 1st thing i noticed was the width of the seat, and how comfortable it felt. I rocked it off of its side stand to realize another thing, this bike is tall. Making an effort, i could just about get flat footed, but it was more comfortable on the balls of my feet. I had a quick look around the electronic dash, pushing a few buttons. OOOOO A trip computer filling the left hand display, showing max speed, average MPG, current MPG, and miles left to push time, that along with the mileometer in a large font. To the bottom of the display where fuel and temp gauges. To the right was an analogue rev counter with the speed shown in a LCD display at the bottom center. The controls where all pretty straightforward and much the same as any other bike.

I Grabbed the wide high bars, dipped the clutch and clicked into 1st gear. What 1st became apparent is how high you sat, and the size of the fairing in front of you. Easing out on to sanderstead hill i got myself comfortable and used to the bike. Clicking through the smooth gearbox, it became apparent that this Tiger was a tad pokey. Only being easy on the throttle, i was soon doing a very illegal speed! Pulling the brakes, i was a little disappointed. The lever seemed to travel far, until i realized that it was set on the smallest span. Right sorted, time for fun.

Heading out onto some country roads, with a route in mind, i opened her up. Crikey, smooth power delivery from any gear at any revs. Easily pulling from 1500rpm in top into 3 figures without any trouble. Now test the brakes properly...Oooo, hang on, the rear wheels off the ground...they work then Right, lets see how this handles.

Onto the bendy bits i went. Although this bike is tall, the centre of gravity seemed low down, must be a 1st for Triumph. It turned its fully adjustable forks in pretty quickly, only limited by the bars being a little close for my liking, not allowing me to get a good push of counter steer, something that could be adjusted my taste. The bike tracked well, and the grip was good. It also handled changes of direction very well with smooth flowing of the bike with no jerkiness that can hamper this type of bike. Gain, the power was smooth and full on. Over taking was a breeze no matter which gear it was in. This bike regardless of its 200kg dry weight was agile, quick and responsive, and i was having fun. Like all bikes, id imagine that once it was set up for my taste, then it would be even better. Oops, petrol. The computer was telling me that i had 46 miles left, but what do i know huh! Chuck a few quid in. Walking back to the bike, it struck me how nice looking it was, with its projector lights (Only runs one dipped. why?) and its clean pointy lines flowing into soft curves.

Time to head back. Great traffic. Time to see how the tiger filters, its main job if ever i was lucky enough to gain one. Excellent. It Balances well, its very easy to control at under walking pace, picks up if you need to hop round cars and the visibility is good, except for the looking through vans/estate cars which i can do on my current bike. One the ride back, i was thinking how nice this bike was, how comfortable it was and how good it felt, and how different it was to the Tuono i rode a while back.

I pull up outside the Tiger's den and hand the keys back to its keeper with a smile on my face and a warm feeling that i have been privileged to have been alone with a Tiger for that brief period of time, the pussy cat with a bite. Mounting my steed, its was like jumping on a mini moto, with my knees in my chest and my elbows in my ribs, but i love my bike, it still brings a smile to my face, bless it.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-07, 04:34 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: The beast of Surrey

http://www.collinscycle.com/07Tiger%20Jet%20Black.jpg
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-07, 04:57 PM   #3
Jelster

You liked it then....

I have to say, there's a new Tiger in the office car park and it does have appeal, and I know that I'll have to give the 'Blade up soon, due to health reasons. The Tiger does look good, so Viney, well done sir, I'm going to organise a test ride...

Old 26-05-07, 06:37 PM   #4
chazzyb

A Tigger appeals to me too. But I'm a complete shorthouse, so can't get my leg over.

Dealer disclaimers: Yup, signed one at Carl Rosner's recently too. On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I went into a certain Honda dealer in Coulsdon to ask for a ride on a BMW R1150R Rockster they have. After telling me the insurance excess was now £850 or so, I was never asked my name, didn't sign anything , handed the keys to the 18 month-old bike and told to take as long as I needed!

Oh and scarily enough, I rather liked the beemer
Old 26-05-07, 06:40 PM   #5
chazzyb

Oh, and 'the beast' used to be the Surrey Puma - Google it.
Old 26-05-07, 07:02 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Thats the wee beastie
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-07, 07:53 PM   #7
Sudoxe

Nice beast. a bit tall for me though.

You could always try a Speed Triple next

Its a nice shop there, just shame that the beasts keeper is a little strange .

Dan