SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Phone and tell?
Yes 16 59.26%
No 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-04-09, 07:13 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Another dilemma you'd wish you didn't have....

My cousins have been on a camping trip and posted the photos on a social networking site. I don't have any details of where they went or which adults accompanied them, but they stayed together in a separate tent, 3 x 15 yr old and 1 x 13yr old, two of them my cousins.

Pictures show them drinking, big deal so did I at 15, but by the end of it the 13 year old in particular hasn't got a working muscle left in her face.

I'm worried she'll do some proper damage at that age and at the least end up getting her stomach pumped.

Should I phone my Aunt and Uncle or mind my own business? I have told my Aunt before to ensure she is always on thier friend list and keep an eye on the photo albums, but she doesn't seem to do it. If I phone the girls will probably never speak to me again, if I don't and something happens to the 13yr old and my uncle finds out I knew she out drinking.....

She spend a lot of time with her older sister and her friends and the 13yr old is a right rebel, I suspect that this is not a one off occasion. I also suspect on other occasions there will be boys in the group.
Old 28-04-09, 07:16 PM   #2
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Another dilemma you'd wish you didn't have....

She's 13. I would inform the parents. I would have wanted to know if my daughter was putting herself into that kind of situation at that age.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-09, 07:20 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

It's not up to the forum mate, your own call.
Maybe 13's a bit young but up to you.
Old 28-04-09, 07:34 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

Just keep an eye out for her. It's as likely she did it becasue she's inexperienced at drinking, and likely to never do it again!
Old 28-04-09, 07:44 PM   #5
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Your call Ralph as you'll know your aunt and uncle well enough to know if this is something that would want to be informed of. If she was my child, I would want to know. If you do tell your aunt, I am sure of you tell her your concerns, she'll agree not to tell your cousing that it was you that let her know.

Good luck mate, but none of us know your family, so it's one I think you'll have to decide for yourself I'm sorry!
Old 28-04-09, 07:46 PM   #6
shonadoll

I'd want to know, but it's hard to know without knowing the parents. I think you should tell em though.
Old 28-04-09, 07:46 PM   #7
kwak zzr

id say let the kids learn the hard way.
Old 28-04-09, 07:52 PM   #8
Owenski

depends on your relationship with teh rents. If your close to the aunt and uncle so their friends as well as family. Then I'd just say in a jokey manor 'seen what your xxxx has been upto on facebook bloody kids eh' keep it low key cos you dont want to interfear but id only do it once they all come back.
Old 28-04-09, 08:10 PM   #9
Milky Bar Kid

I echo Grunty's sentiments. have you tried talking to the girls yourself first?
Old 28-04-09, 08:40 PM   #10
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
My cousins have been on a camping trip and posted the photos on a social networking site. I don't have any details of where they went or which adults accompanied them, but they stayed together in a separate tent, 3 x 15 yr old and 1 x 13yr old, two of them my cousins.

Pictures show them drinking, big deal so did I at 15, but by the end of it the 13 year old in particular hasn't got a working muscle left in her face.

I'm worried she'll do some proper damage at that age and at the least end up getting her stomach pumped.

Should I phone my Aunt and Uncle or mind my own business? I have told my Aunt before to ensure she is always on thier friend list and keep an eye on the photo albums, but she doesn't seem to do it. If I phone the girls will probably never speak to me again, if I don't and something happens to the 13yr old and my uncle finds out I knew she out drinking.....

She spend a lot of time with her older sister and her friends and the 13yr old is a right rebel, I suspect that this is not a one off occasion. I also suspect on other occasions there will be boys in the group.
They're your cousins, not your kids. Rather than having a word with the parents, how about you approach the cousins one at a time and talk to them instead. They may well listen to you, but they won't listen to their parents no matter how they approach the subject.

The kids won't appreciate you going behind their back, and you're doing something positive rather than something that may get them in bother.