SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-06-06, 08:57 PM   #1
Stig

Default I knew my luck would run out soon, well sort of...

On the way to work this morning, got to the main roundabout before the Motorway. Got stuck at the first set of lights. Lights change to green, I depart on the rear wheel. Got stuck at the next set of lights, I depart on the rear wheel.

On to the slip road and on to the motorway. Two miles later after some deft traffic dodging, leave the motorway. At the end of the slip road the lights are on red. I've stopped waiting for the lights to change, when I car pulls up by my side very sharply and very close to me.

I turn to see what knobber is driving said car and realise that it's Mr police man in an unmarked car. Damn.

He indicates for me to pull over, so I let him know that I am going to negotiate the roundabout and will pull over a little further down the road out of the way of the traffic. He had no problems with this and gives me the thumbs up.

I pull over, take gloves and helmet off and get off the bike. He comes over and we have a chat about my journey from the lights at the previous roundabout to the roundabout that he stopped me on.

He said that he was waiting in the traffic at the first lights and when I shot off on the rear wheel that kind of got his attention, so he decided to follow me.

He commented about my road discipline whilst travelling along the motorway. He said that although I undertook, filtered through two lanes off traffic at speed on the white line, and then went across three lanes of traffic to take the slip road, he was happy that I was paying great attention to the rest of the traffic and was fully aware that I was actually being quite sensible about when and where I decided it was safe to make these manoeuvres.

Because of this he was prepared to ignore the antics at the roundabout, ignore the filtering, ignore the small number plate, illegal can and dark visor and just gave me a ticket for doing an average of 90 mph over the two miles of the motorway.

When I got to work I actually looked at my ticket in more detail. It states that I got the ticket for excessive speed on the motorway, the only speed written down on the ticket says 70 mph. I think this is to indicate what the actual speed limit was at the time. It does not state what speed I was actually travelling at.

Does that mean that I am only looking at 3 points and the fine? Or (being hopeful here) does it mean he has made a mistake when issuing the ticket and forgot to write the speed I was travelling?

Either way, I think, putting it all in context, I got lucky again... sort of.
Old 07-06-06, 09:05 PM   #2
lynw

can you buy my lottery ticket tomorrow please? :P

I still think when you put it in that context 3 points would be a let off, especially in light of the sheer number of lucky escapes you've had to date

but if someone here cant help, pepipoo is the place to ask I believe
Old 07-06-06, 09:07 PM   #3
anna
Mega Poster

Wow I would say that was quite lucky .. dont know what the ticket means without seeing it. .. but I would say if it doesnt state the MPH you were going then it's just the standard points and fine..but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 09:09 PM   #4
Stingo

All that and he gave you a 'funny' ticket? Blimey...bet if it was me they'd have.....blah....blah....I don't know what it means but I reckon you're a lucky sod Bigape.
Old 07-06-06, 09:17 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

When I got my ticket on the M5, the police officer had written down my average speed on the ticket. ( 95.8mph ) he then advised me that he was going to give me 3 points and a £60 fine, which if I wanted to I could contest in court. I said I would accept the 3 points and fine.

Bigape, what exactly did he say to you at the roadside. Did the conversation go anything like that ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 09:41 PM   #6
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
When I got my ticket on the M5, the police officer had written down my average speed on the ticket. ( 95.8mph ) he then advised me that he was going to give me 3 points and a £60 fine, which if I wanted to I could contest in court. I said I would accept the 3 points and fine.

Bigape, what exactly did he say to you at the roadside. Did the conversation go anything like that ?
Yep he said quite clearly that he was going to ticket me for an average 90 mph over a 2 mile period. But the only speed indicated on the ticket is 70mph which I am assuming is stating the speed limit of the road at the time.

I'm getting more and more confused now.

XS71 which is the offence code on my ticket means: Excess speed (class of vehicle) LGV

The next box states Brief wording in which is written: Excess speed, 70 mph.

So this is the bit I don't understand as Excess speed, 70 mph is the words that describe the offence code XS72.

So which one am I getting prosecuted for

Either way, there is no indication on the ticket what so ever of the actual speed that I was doing.
Old 07-06-06, 09:48 PM   #7
rpwoodman

Hi Mate,

I assume this was on the M4, from 13 to 12? I go the other way, but generally go along the A4 because it's more fun. Where did you pull over?

That aside....

Something relatively similar happened to me a few years ago when I was in my car on the M27. I was done for an average of 96 over 6 miles (!!), and he said I wasn't driving badly, just fast, and it was too fast to be let off.

I'm 99% sure that I got an XS71 (which confused my insurance company when i told them) on the ticket I was given, but when i got my license back it showed an SP50.

It sounds to me as if you've got away as lightly as you could really - nice one.

Rgds

Rupert
Old 07-06-06, 09:53 PM   #8
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwoodman
Hi Mate,

I assume this was on the M4, from 13 to 12? I go the other way, but generally go along the A4 because it's more fun. Where did you pull over?

That aside....

Something relatively similar happened to me a few years ago when I was in my car on the M27. I was done for an average of 96 over 6 miles (!!), and he said I wasn't driving badly, just fast, and it was too fast to be let off.

I'm 99% sure that I got an XS71 (which confused my insurance company when i told them) on the ticket I was given, but when i got my license back it showed an SP50.

It sounds to me as if you've got away as lightly as you could really - nice one.

Rgds

Rupert
Junction 12 to 11 this morning. Stopped me (or rather caught up with me) at the lights at the end of junc 11 slip road. I'm sure we have passed each other at various times.
Old 07-06-06, 10:03 PM   #9
jonboy

Yes you'll get 3 points, an SP50, and a £60 fine. All in, you're still damned jammy! (could have been an awful lot worse)

Oh and you used a spell checker didn't you? Cos (apart from God) I'm one of only three people in the UK that can genuinely spell "manoeuvre" .

Old 07-06-06, 10:06 PM   #10
Ed

Oh you are lucky to get off so lightly.

You're not on 9 already though are you....

And everyone knows it's 'manoover'