SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-05-08, 12:32 PM   #1
wow

Default givi topbox lid stuck

Well have a new SV and a new Givi topbox (E460) since a few weeks. Been using the topbox and this morning it decided that the lid won't open anymore. Might be vacuum or something. Key turns and it's unlocked. I'm off to the dealers this afternoon. V timely as I'm off to france this weekend, but better that it happens now then in france with my stuff in. Has anyone else had this problem? Have you drilled a hole in it? I won't do that as it will affect the warranty but just wondered as the dealer said they've had it before.
Old 12-05-08, 12:50 PM   #2
cuffy

Default Re: givi topbox lid stuck

Hacksaw it off at the rack, job done.
HTH
Old 12-05-08, 01:51 PM   #3
wow

Got all changed to leave work to go to dealers, when I tried the topbox again and i turned the key touched the lid and heard some air escaping, then the lid opened.

Will speak to dealer what to do to prevent this from happening again. Not v nice if your stuff's in there and you can't get to it. My colleague tried really hard the bike started moving and I had to hold the bike so you can't solve it with brute force. Closed it immediately and will go back in a minute after my cup of tea to see if it still opens .....

Could it be the temperature and change of temperature? Cold when it wouldn't open in garage, all day in sun when it opened.
Thinking of oiling the seals or something, dunno, will speak to dealer and see what they say. But would prefer to speak to givi people but there's no contact number that i can find just an address.

Last edited by wow; 12-05-08 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 01:56 PM   #4
AndyW

Trying to think how mine works, don't remember a seal on it at all, just stick a knife blade up between lid and base. As Givi boxes are put key in lock, press red button, it lifts straight off bike, try that before knocking bike off stand struggling.
Old 12-05-08, 01:57 PM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post
Got all changed to leave work to go to dealers, when I tried the topbox again and i turned the key touched the lid and heard some air escaping, then the lid opened.

Will speak to dealer what to do to prevent this from happening again. Not v nice if your stuff's in there and you can't get to it. My colleague tried really heard the bike started moving and I had to hold the bike so you can't solve it with brute force. Closed it immediately and will go back in a minute after my cup of tea to see if it still opens .....

Could it be the temperature and change of temperature? Cold when it wouldn't open in garage, all day in sun when it opened.
Thinking of oiling the seals or something, dunno, will speak to dealer and see what they say. But would prefer to speak to givi people but there's no contact number that i can find just an address.
Don't oil the seals, if it is the airtight seal creating a partial vacuum when cold, this will be worse as the seal will be even better.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 02:21 PM   #6
wow

Friend thinks riding it in the sun and then let it cool down with hot air in it could have created a vacuum. Then when the sun heated up the air in the box again the vacuum went again.

Might have a little hole drilled in the bottom.

Last edited by wow; 12-05-08 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 09:08 PM   #7
wow

Spoke to Givi (and it's not pronounced as most people do!), sounds rather french altho they're italian.

They had heard of the problem, happens to new boxes but normally if you pull the lid it would open, he had never heard of my extreme problem. There is a thingy already in the bottom of the box which i can just tap out with a 'something'. These technical tool terms is not something I hear regularly if at all. And then of course the vacuum would not happen anymore. Oh well.
Old 12-05-08, 11:22 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Well you know full well it's waterproof now!

Your problem does indeed sound like the hot air contracting is leading to reduced pressure inside.

You need a pinhole, that's all, the actual volume of air isn't that big.

What I'd do, is drill a hole that the bike key will fit through, put a bit of duct tape on it inside for waterproofing, next time it happens, either the duct tape will be sucked off the box and the airlock won't occur, or you can jab a hole through the tape with a key in seconds to release the seal. Simply replace the tape to re-seal. The box is kept perfectly dry. It's pretty much free, and simple as you like.
Old 13-05-08, 06:40 AM   #9
wow

There's some kind of thin pre-hole already I was told by the GIvi people. You can tap that out which i have done. It's meant for leading brakelight wires through. That should have done it now, will find out this morning when i got to work.