SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-05-09, 08:01 AM   #1
steveg

Question Givi rack / topbox question

Morning ,

I know every one hates top box , however could really use one , so my questions is :

Have my eye on a Givi rack (second hand) which comes with monokey plate

Looking at cases there are 2 fitment types monokey & monolock

The monolock cases are a lot cheaper so was goin to go for a monolock box

If I buy a monolock box which comes with a universal base plate can I just swap over baseplate on rack ?

What box types fit the universal base plate

Is there much difference re monokey / monolock cases ?

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf

Last edited by steveg; 30-05-09 at 08:10 AM.
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-09, 11:57 AM   #2
Brettus

Default Re: Givi rack / topbox question

IIRC the universal base means it will attach to anything on the bike side, they are still monolock/monokey on the box side of things I believe

I keep forgetting which mine is but I got a big top box on there and I used to have a universal plate bolted to a spare pillion seat, I have since got a SW-Motech rack though with a givi plate on it.

Sorry I can't be more certain.

Edit: just checked mines the E450 monolock, haven't checked the differences but I thought the monokey stuff was for the smaller boxes but not sure. Haven't had a problem with mine or any of the mounting plates. just depends what you want to attach it to I guess.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"

Last edited by Brettus; 30-05-09 at 12:01 PM.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-09, 12:41 PM   #3
steveg

Thanks for the reply , not to mind lost item on ebay , think rack went for over 60quid which was more than I was prepared to spend .

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-09, 03:29 PM   #4
Brettus

Ah yeah, racks tend to be the expensive bits, hence why I went down the cheapskate bodge route to start with, the SW rack cost £75 and that was a bargain, its amazing how much they cost.

I couldn't do without my top box, handiest thing I've got for my bike, I use it for my work laptop backpack etc.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-09, 09:03 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

The monolock is a budget system for a budget price. It is intended for "scooters etc", i.e. slower bikes. The monokey is intended for "faster" bikes. I haven't used a monolock type, but the monokey is certainly good quality and secure.

You might be lucky to find a baseplate cheap, but as often as not they seem to go for close to the retail price for some bizarre reason. There are some different variants (M3 etc, styling and sometimes the material is different) but any will do. (Edit - as said in the post below, monokey baseplate for monokey cases, there are different style monokey baseplates available)

There's a wide choice of older model monokey top boxes, sometimes they go for sensible money, newer and more popular models (e.g. Maxia 52L) rarely come cheap.

Last edited by embee; 30-05-09 at 09:48 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-09, 09:04 PM   #6
darylB

Monolock is a single skinned case, not reccommended for middle to high power bikes, more for scooters and smaller bikes. monokey cases are more robust, you will need a monokey rack to fit a monokey case, 45 litre minimum for 2 helmets.

daryl.
Old 30-05-09, 09:58 PM   #7
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Steveg,

I've a Monokey rack one for sale. See Here .

Okay, it needs a stud but if you are really interested, I shall look through my boxes of bolts(before I put them away) and hopefully find right size bolt to cut down to required length.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-09, 09:33 AM   #8
Swin

I've used the Monolock rack on my last Bandit as well as my current SV, then fitted a Tech 48L box from MPS on it, I think the whole set came to around 150 quid, but as I have a back complaint that precludes using a rucksack (not to mention a friend of a friend who is in a wheelchair as a result of having something solid in his rucksack when he came off) I find that a top box is a sad necessity for me!
Old 31-05-09, 09:41 AM   #9
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swin View Post
I've used the Monolock rack on my last Bandit as well as my current SV, then fitted a Tech 48L box from MPS on it, I think the whole set came to around 150 quid, but as I have a back complaint that precludes using a rucksack (not to mention a friend of a friend who is in a wheelchair as a result of having something solid in his rucksack when he came off) I find that a top box is a sad necessity for me!
This is partly why I insist on having a topbox; safety. I wouldnt want to come off and land on my back whilst carrying a backpack full of uni stuff. Also, there is a comfort issue - at the moment im having to use a backpack with my courtesy bike, and my back is aching quite bad

Topboxes are awesome, my dream bike is an R1 with a topbox and heated grips. What could be better
Old 31-05-09, 09:49 AM   #10
Swin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
This is partly why I insist on having a topbox; safety. I wouldnt want to come off and land on my back whilst carrying a backpack full of uni stuff. Also, there is a comfort issue - at the moment im having to use a backpack with my courtesy bike, and my back is aching quite bad

Topboxes are awesome, my dream bike is an R1 with a topbox and heated grips. What could be better
ROFL!!!
Gel pad?

I tried a tank bag and that also seems to make my riding position a bit uncomfortable, tail pack was ok, but I couldn't leave my lid in it when I got to work