SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-01-23, 05:28 PM   #11
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: lets talk coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
now who has tried one cup coffee filters e.g. small coffee filters that you put in a cup/mug and pour boiling water in.
I had one of those, made good coffee.

I now have a Sage coffee maker, which had some unground beans as part of the price.

I still haven't found the perfect coffee, but grinding your own beans is better than ground. I've got a little USB powered grinder, not a chopper, works well
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 06:31 PM   #12
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
.... but grinding your own beans is better than ground. I've got a little USB powered grinder, not a chopper, works well
I got so fed up with the inconsistent grind of the elderly manual grinder I inherited from FiL (lots of very fine bits but lots of boulders too) that I splurged on a nice flat burr Wilfa Uniform at the start of lockdown. Overkill but nowhere near the most expensive option out there. If I feel like a strong brew I grind finer and go up on the coffee to water ratio compared to the 60g per litre most start from. I've really enjoyed trying different roasts, grinds and ratios over the last couple of years.
Old 04-01-23, 06:39 PM   #13
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
well i tried that cafe direct Mayan Gold, for me its pizz weak. no bitterness and smooth but no deep dark coffee taste. i would not rate it a 5 strength, more like a 2.

when i'm in costa or other coffee places i always ask for a double shot americano as one shot are always too weak.
If you want dark and strong, I've tried these beans and can recommend them. They will wake you up for sure. (this company tends to focus on darker, stronger roasts) Mahogany roast jampit hit is also good.
https://www.coffeecompass.co.uk/prod...ast-blend-500g

What ratios are you using in the percolator? I'm not so familiar with how they work but in an espresso machine, it's usually around 2:1 water to coffee.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 06:46 PM   #14
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I got so fed up with the inconsistent grind of the elderly manual grinder I inherited from FiL (lots of very fine bits but lots of boulders too) that I splurged on a nice flat burr Wilfa Uniform at the start of lockdown. Overkill but nowhere near the most expensive option out there. If I feel like a strong brew I grind finer and go up on the coffee to water ratio compared to the 60g per litre most start from. I've really enjoyed trying different roasts, grinds and ratios over the last couple of years.
Yep a burr grinder is the way to go, I only get lumps when the beans run out, if I top them up then it's a pretty consistent grind
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 07:36 PM   #15
yokohama

Lance, I upgraded my grinder recently to one that grinds fine enough for espresso.
if you want a burr grinder, my old one can be available for a very good price.�� Nothing wrong with it. Stainless steel flat burrs with 16 grind sizes from fine to coarse so should be OK for using with a percolator
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 10:08 PM   #16
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

We've been getting beans from the York roastery for years, they have loads and can sell you different grinds for different brewing methods. Our favourite is the South American
https://yorkemporium.co.uk/products/...n-coffee-blend
but the Shambles has a bite more bite
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 10:28 AM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

well i got some Morrisons own French and Espresso on offer two for £4 while shopping yesterday and i must say the Espresso is what i'm looking for. strong fairly smooth and tastes good but there is a little hint of "anaesthetic" in there which is a bit off putting. otherwise its on the right track.

as for ratio of water/coffee i haven't checked but i do fill the filter to the 6 mug mark with 2 mugs of water in the boiler. remember that the Dualit is a recirculating percolator so always stronger brew.

also the second mug of coffee is always stronger so i think i need to let it sit more when its on warmer function.

out of interest has anyone used those V60 filters straight into a mug to let the coffee "infuse"before lifting it out?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 11:40 AM   #18
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

You might be able to use the V60 filters in a mug and lift out but they are designed as pour-over filters, not infusion (ie, water drips through grinds, not water sits with grinds). The plastic V60 cones that sit on top of a mug are only a few quid if you wanted to try one.
Old 05-01-23, 09:14 PM   #19
daktulos

I know it's a bit hipster, but aeropress does make a nice cup.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 07:43 PM   #20
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I know it's a bit hipster, but aeropress does make a nice cup.
If I didn't already have three French presses and a really nice olive wood stand for my V60/carafe I'd quite like to try an aeropress.